Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Picklist Function for Data Entry Fields

Posted by scott 
scott
Picklist Function for Data Entry Fields
September 02, 2011 10:59PM
I prefer using external tables to store values for data entry fields - this helps enforce data integrity and minimize data entry errors that cause problems down the road (e.g. a report that is expected to contain certain values, but don't because the end-users are typing in variations of names).

My previous programming language provided a tool that enabled me to add a picklist procedure for a data entry field. If that entry field was active, the user could type alphanumeric characters in the data entry field - the closest match would automatically be displayed (which a WinDev Table control does). If a hotkey (Alt-DownArrow) was pressed, the picklist popup window is displayed onscreen - that picklist popup window allowed users to add / edit / delete picklist database contents "on the fly". This is very intuitive, and adds real value to applications that are used "in the field" by power users.
Arnaud Benhamdine
Re: Picklist Function for Data Entry Fields
October 07, 2011 12:20PM
Indeed, it would be a great feature.

Actually, we developped ourselves such a field, which is a "must-have".

Regards.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.