Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Importing dbf and especially memo fields (dbt)

Posted by Wim Meurisse.pcs.crosspost 
Wim Meurisse.pcs.crosspost
Importing dbf and especially memo fields (dbt)
July 07, 2008 03:09PM
Hello,

I try to import some dbf-tables into a new Windev application.
I imported the description of the files into the analysis, without any trouble.

But when I try to put the data into new hyperfiles, I have a problem when accessing the dbt-files (text memo).

I can acces en capture all fields, but not the memo's:

native XBase access error.
Error Number = 1040

Unable to extract memo of <507> record from '.\BABYSITS.dbt' file.
ERROR - Bad item length.
End of memo item not found.
Maximum size of text items: 254 bytes (32K under Clipper 5). Maximum size of numeric items under dBase III & Clipper: 19 bytes.
Maximum size of numeric or float items under dBase IV & FoxPro: 20 bytes.
This error does not concern the other types of items.

Anyone?

Message forwarded from pcsoft.us.windev
Hello Wim

Whenever I had to get data from Foxpro memos into Windev I would create a dbase file with a field for the key and a text field of 100 chr. I would write a simple foxpro program to read through the source foxpro file, set the memo length to about 75 chr, and for each record, read a 75chr line of the memo and add a record into the new file with the key and that text line, so you just loop though the memo till it is blank then start again with a new set of data from the source file.

You can then open this file in Windev with HDBopen and using the key, rebuild the memo data in a windev file memo.

Regards
Al
Michael Drechsel
Re: Importing dbf and especially memo fields (dbt)
July 07, 2008 08:08PM
Hi Wim,

try to use OLE DB with VFP. It&#180;s better as the native access, because VFP is a litte bit different as dbase or foxbase. I got all my memo fields (but not my binary text fields !)

greetings md
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.