Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Version 12 Problem

Posted by Milton 
Milton
Version 12 Problem
July 06, 2008 09:31PM
Hi All,

I converted an application from version 10 to version 12 and everything appeared to go okay. However, when I tried to modify a record in a file I received an error message saying that

"An error occurred in the window. <MyFile> file is read only. Unable to perform the operation."

I checked in Windows explorer that the file attributes were correct and the file was not read only.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Milton
Jimbo
Re: Version 12 Problem
July 06, 2008 10:20PM
Hi Milton, this smells like a write-protected file because you moved it via CD ? Just remove write protection from the whole project directory .. Regards, Guenter
Al
July 06, 2008 10:51PM
Hello Milton

Can you change data in the file using WDMap ?

Also you could try the old DOS command attrib to see what it reports about the readonly flag on the file and also use it to set the attributes.

Regards
Al
Milton
July 06, 2008 11:38PM
Hi Al and Guenter,

The files were not copied from CD but, in any case, I went in via Windows explorer and set the attributes again.

I also used the DOS attrib command and, on the HF data files concerned ran

attrib -R filename*.*

The problem still existed.

I also deleted the HF data files and the program recreated them, still with the read-only message appearing.

I have created a basic application, as per the tutorial in version 12, without a problem so it is obviously something to do with converting from version 10 to 12.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Milton
Milton
July 06, 2008 11:41PM
Hi Al,

Yes, I can amend the file using WDMap.

Milton
Al
July 07, 2008 12:48AM
Hello Milton

It looks like you have ruled out the OS as the issue, especially as you have recreated the files which leaves the program as the source of the problem.

A couple of thoughts

If you have logging enabled is it anything to do with the log files ?

We have had some odd problems where old code referenced files with double quotes around the names and subsequent code in the same loop did not and when we removed the double quotes everything worked well.

Have the HF files somehow been included in the exe during its creation which would make them read only to the program ?

Delete the cpl and recompile ?

That's all that springs to mind at the moment

Regards
Al
kevinw
July 07, 2008 11:05AM
Windows permissions?

Kevin
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.