Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How easy it is to convert a WD project to WB in the latest version?

Posted by YogiYang 
How easy it is to convert a WD project to WB in the latest version?
September 29, 2023 09:26AM
Hello,

Currently we are using WD 24 but are planning to upgrade to WX 29 in coming months.

But before we proceed I would like to know if it is really possible to convert an app built in WD to WB or not?

If not what and how much work one have we to do in WB?

I know it would be hard to say without looking at the actual app but if someone has done this, their inputs will help us make the right decision.

TIA

--
Yogi Yang
Re: How easy it is to convert a WD project to WB in the latest version?
September 29, 2023 10:45AM
Hi Yogi Yang,

if you mean the UI, I think it is better to do the conversion manually.
The code - BPs - can be used with a direct copy from the WD project (I would avoid sharing them).
Also, make sure that controls or functions used in your WD app are also available in WB (or at least workarounds)

Of course, PCSoft could "shock us all", and introduce something extraordinary in WX29 - we just have to wait a few days.

Regards
Steven Sitas
October 02, 2023 08:48AM
Hello Steven,

Thanks for the tips and hints.

Actually we are planning to rebuild an app (which is quite big) originally built in WD24 to web and I have been trying to convince my boss to adopt the latest version of WX because I read somewhere that we can open WD project in WB and it will convert most of the UI so I am betting on adopting the latest version of WX.

If we decide not to build the WD app in WB then we will probably be developing the whole solution either in a JS based tool called Lowcoder which is opensource and free to host and use or use a commercial tool called Wappler.

But personally I am desperate to use the latest version of WX to build the app as we already know it inside-out!

In case of adopting other tools we will have to spend more time learning the ins and outs of that particular tool.

Personally I already know and use both Lowcoder and Wappler but rest of the developers are not familiar with it.

TIA

--
Yogi Yang
You should go on Fabrice Harari's youtube chanel and follow his web developemnt philosophy course. That will explain in details why thinking that you can port a windev application to the web without changing it's logic is always impossible.

Yes, WX will give you tools to port PART of the UI
Yes, you can DEFINITELY reuse the data access/business logic code and that will save you tons of time

But in all cases, you will have to have a completely different UI (no modal windows piling one after another, just for a starter)
October 09, 2023 11:58PM
Hi,
I converted my WD16 app into WB24. I went through by converting each window to its equivalent page, testing and making the required adjustments. You get 85-90% good conversion based on the nature of the window. Some of the things to look out for are:

1. Due to browser/server interaction, you'll have to do additional work on processes that are fired due to an update of a control.
2. Please check all comboboxes because they behave differently in a browser than in a window. They will always select the first option.
3. Some text boxes will have the font and background color the same (white). This will make it seems as if it doesn't contain data.
4. There will be some alignment issues
5. Some buttons with pictures may not convert properly.

I actually started the conversion with WB17 which was not adequate as it didn't even support many of the WD16 functions like ControlSource. It was much easier when I moved to WB24 and I believe it will be easier still with WB28/29. Try and convert the whole app and see how it goes.
Find time to go through the tutorial else you'll end up doing things the hard way. All in all, I have a very stable app that's been running for several years.

I wish you well

Issah
October 11, 2023 02:16PM
Hello Issah & Argus,

Thanks to both of your for your suggestions and tips.

I will surely keep them in mind and progress cautiously.

TIA

--
Yogi Yang
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.