Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Live Update Issue

Posted by btm-mike 
Live Update Issue
August 21, 2023 10:17PM
Somewhat WXDev newbie, but making great (rapid) progress towards my first app built in WinDev 28.

I'm attempting to setup the live update feature for install and update via http. I'm going through the following steps:

[*] Create setup procedure specifying live update config
    [*] Copying the resulting install files to a WAS server (IIS-based)
    [*] Deploying from the installer
    [*] I install the app from the URL properly
    [*] I make a change and repeat the first three steps above with a "new version"
    [*] I launch my app and it's flagging for new version, etc---all good up to this point

The only issue I seem to have is that the chm file with the change log (which is properly created and sitting on the server in the ./INSTALL/ directory does not load. Looking further, further, it appears the live update is attempting to load it from a local temp folder with a file name matching that of the proper CHM--however the CHM file is missing and as such it's not able to load the CHM contents into the live update window.

If I manually download the appropriate CHM file into the temp directory and go to file properties -> Unblock, it will load as expected fine. Anything short of this doesn't result in a successful download of the file and display of the CHM content.

Has anyone solved this issue for Win 10 and Win 11 devices while continuing to use the WinDev live update feature?

Short of a fix, does anyone have a live update mechanism that they've put together?
Argus
Re: Live Update Issue
August 29, 2023 07:37AM
Just using a text file, ini style with all the version information in it
Httprequest to read it
based on the content :
- propose OR FORCE update
- Display update content/version

Update is another httprequest to download the file from url in ini file above
then run the update locally

If need to update without admin rights, then download just the wdl, put in the user directory and do a loadwdl in the program/launcher (a little more complex, but still easy)
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.