Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

WEBDEV - number of concurrent users (SOLVED)

Posted by SteveSitas 
WEBDEV - number of concurrent users (SOLVED)
March 21, 2022 09:22AM
Hi,
I am doing some investigation before I go on with a project with WEBDEV 26/27.
Here are my specifications:

1. Maximum 300 concurrent users
2. Every user adds about 10 PDFs to a HFSQL Client-Server Database while connected
3. No use of transactions
4. Autosave feature
5. Would prefer session mode (classic) but if needed move to AWP mode

Now the question(s):
1. the Maximum number of users?
2. Memory for each user? - Total amount of memory?
3. Most important - how do I simulate 300 users to test the project?

Any tips appreciated

Regards
Steven Sitas

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2022 12:31PM by SteveSitas.
Argus
Re: WEBDEV - number of concurrent users ...
March 21, 2022 12:46PM
1. Maximum 300 concurrent users
> 2. Every user adds about 10 PDFs to a HFSQL
> Client-Server Database while connected
> 3. No use of transactions
> 4. Autosave feature
> 5. Would prefer session mode (classic) but if
> needed move to AWP mode
>
> Now the question(s):
> 1. the Maximum number of users?

Sorry, but what is the question? Can you have 300 concurrent users with webdev? YES

> 2. Memory for each user? - Total amount of
> memory?

Depends on your code and your pages, just like a windev program. Depends even more of your choices in webdev. If you go with awp, none most of the time, as there is no session on the server and memory is used ONLY when the user activates a server code (ie 1/100 of the time at most)

> 3. Most important - how do I simulate 300 users to
> test the project?

again, it depends of your choices. If you can go the awp route and your high pressure point is the addition of a pdf in the DB, then you have to realize that with 300 concurrent users, the chances that more than 2 or 3 users will press the upload button at the same time (while the other 2 are uploading) are SLIM... Most oh the users time will be spent doing stuff on the browser side (reading instructions, selecting a file, talking on the phone, etc).

If you go the classic/session road, then you'll need to be able to have 300 windev exe running at the same time on the server, memory wise, and you'll know how much memory only once your code is written. In that case, be carefull with queries, as they WILL eat your memory if you are not.

But the funny thing is that your exe will mostly spend their time waiting for a user action on the browser side and WILL BE INACTIVE 99% of the time. so again, load tests are not really relevant.
>
> Any tips appreciated
>
> Regards
> Steven Sitas
Re: WEBDEV - number of concurrent users ...
March 21, 2022 01:27PM
Hi Argus,
this is a site where students apply for a room on a university campus.
They upload various legal pdfs, on an account they create, and in a day or so the system will get about 1.000 applications/requests.
My worst-case scenario is about 300 concurrent users - That's the highest number the logs of the previous (PHP) system showed ...
I was hoping somebody had a real experience with this type of installation and of course, suggest, any tools to automatically test the system.

* I am aware that there is NO artificial limitation on the number of users of the WEBDEV application server (at least from PCSoft) and that windows server has its own limitation (according to MS about 800 users).

thanks for your post

Regards
Steven Sitas
Re: WEBDEV - number of concurrent users (SOLVED)
March 23, 2022 12:32PM
Hi,
seems there is a PCSoft application to stress test a WEBDEV app - its WDTestSite.exe

Regards
Steven Sitas
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.