Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Storing table column settings

Posted by norfolk-reg 
Storing table column settings
February 15, 2022 08:10PM
Hi,

I know that tables can have options set to allow users to configure columns at run-time; visibility, size and position. If I make a column invisible, for example, a setting is changed in that table column's registry entry. I can see that, the registry key is called VisibleOuverture.

If I move a table column to a different place, I would expect another key, called IndiceAffichageOuverture, to be changed, but it looks like it isn't, and I don't understand why, and when I next log into the app the column has moved back to its old position, even though I've tagged the option to allow column configurations to be saved.

I trying to figure this out I've even manually changed a column's registry setting for IndiceAffichageOuverture, but this has no effect, it's as though the table column positions just revert to the sequence in which they are defined in the editor.

I'm stuck; can anyone think what's going wrong here?

Cheers
Reg
Re: Storing table column settings
February 15, 2022 10:07PM
Hello Reg,

What version are you using?

I have an issue with 26 that once a column is hidden(with code) no matter what you do it will no longer save column position or sizes. The only way it works again is to delete all the registry data for the table.

DW
February 16, 2022 09:23AM
Hi,

I'm using V22.

Thanks
Reg
February 16, 2022 02:38PM
Hi,
I found the following problems with table column settings:
1. Hidding a column by code can make the system "go crazy or restore to the original status"
2. If a user hides - with AAF - a column, which is used as an "anchoring column" for the table the system also gets crazy.

Seems like these problems are here BEFORE v26 - at least the second one is in v21 also.

Regards
Steven Sitas
February 16, 2022 02:44PM
Thanks Steven...
February 16, 2022 05:54PM
Hi Steven,

yes, I do know that. I do not use the registry for storing and setting of table characteristics at all. Since this is not for many tables of the project but only for a few I store everything in a single ini-file .. the name of the Table form is the key. Users can store everything that's important for exactly that table control and use those setting to get it back whenever needed. There are some tables where there is an associated button [restore / save settings] or automatically whenever the window is opened. All of the column-characteristics of a table control are accessible by software.

Kind regards,
Guenter Predl
office@windev.at
February 16, 2022 06:55PM
Thanks Guenter. So basically yet another "fantastic feature" of WinDev doesn't actually work...confused smiley
February 17, 2022 06:48AM
Hi,

I really don't know but I assume that Microsoft never intended to let virtually 'everyone' store parameters of their applications in the registry at runtime. It's just fine at installation time and when applications are fired up but not for each control and and all of its properties. For applications like ours, there is a folder \ProgramData where to store any workstation-specific parameters in ini-files. Linux/Unix do work just fine without any registry.

Just my opinion: I've put these parameters even into a database file of my groupware. If a user walks to any computer within the network and runs the app s/he should see the app exactly as parametricized on their original workplace. All windows have the same background color, all table controls either show default values or table specific values for their fonts, font colors, fontsizes and row heights. I even plan to add background colors and font colors of all or most of the buttons in future.

Kind regards,
Guenter Predl
office@windev.at

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2022 06:48AM by gpredl.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.