Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How big it the leap to moved from WD20 to WD24?

Posted by YogiYang 
How big it the leap to moved from WD20 to WD24?
February 07, 2022 07:05AM
Hello,

We are in talk with a company which wants us to develop their software in WinDev. They will provide us with version 24 (or probably 26).

Currently we have WD20 and I develop in it only.

The new assignment (if we get the order) will be to build a true client server application (which I have never developed till date as all our software are stand alone) which will connect to HFSQL server.

The software to be developed will be used from around 20 PC on LAN.

So I want to know as to how paradigm shift it would be to move from WD20 to WD24?

Are there anything that I need to look out for when shifting?

What are the major difference between WD20 and WD24?

TIA

--
Yogi Yang
Al
Re: How big it the leap to moved from WD20 to WD24?
February 07, 2022 08:39AM
Hello Yogi

You can download all the versions of Windev from V21 to V26. They should install even without the licence. If you have a V26 Licence use the local help for each version, but if not, you can run the Presentation.chm in the Help folder. In either case you can view all the changes in one version to the previous version.

From memory the development IDE in V25 is very similar to that of V20 but I found the V26 IDE so different from V25 and so alien to my method of working that I have stayed with V25 and am not likely to ever progress past it.

Regards
Al
February 07, 2022 09:11AM
Hello Al,

Thanks for your suggestions. I have already gone through the Presentation PDFs of 24 and 26. There are many new controls and a few language features. One new feature that I liked in WD26 is support for SVG editing.

That is not what I am asking. My concern is that are there any behavioral change in any old functions like HExecuteQuery, etc. that I should take into consideration.

My general style of coding is:
1. Use HExecuteQuery in Global Declaration
2. After a user Adds (or Edits) data execute following code
HExecuteQuery(QRY_ManageContract)
TableDisplay(TABLE_Contract)
SetFocus(TABLE_Contract)

One developer told me that in case of WD24 it will flag the HExecuteQuery as being executed multiple time.

On hearing this I am a bit baffled as to why should the IDE flag this code line. Of course once I get my hands on new version of WD I will check this our personally.

TIA

--
Yogi Yang
February 07, 2022 02:21PM
Hello Yogi

I use the WD23 version and use queries for everything related to searching the database and I use the same phrase as you stated in your post. I have translated some of my projects from WD18 to WD23 and mostly everything works without any significant changes.

[infosonline.net]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2022 02:22PM by infos.
Argus
February 07, 2022 02:43PM
> That is not what I am asking. My concern is that
> are there any behavioral change in any old
> functions like HExecuteQuery, etc. that I should
> take into consideration.

NONE... WX tools are always backward compatible. They just ADD new stuff.

> My general style of coding is:
> 1. Use HExecuteQuery in Global Declaration

You should NEVER do code in the DECLARATION part, you should put that in the INIT part. In some cases, it can create problems.
That has been true for a very long time, nothing to do with the version.

> One developer told me that in case of WD24 it will
> flag the HExecuteQuery as being executed multiple
> time.
>
> On hearing this I am a bit baffled as to why
> should the IDE flag this code line.

Each new version is telling you more stuff about your code, either as errors, or in the case above as a warning. In this case, you get this message when you DO exe ute the SAME QUERY, WITH THE SAME PARAMETERS multiple times in a short amount of time (which happens when you are repeatedly testing a window, by example)

So it's just an optimization warning that you can ignore if you are in that case, or take into account if it just happen that your query is in a loop when it should be BEFORE the loop

And if you migrate old code, there is a good chance that the new compiler will find errors that it was not finding before (they were already here, just not found), so it's all good
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.