Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Most reliable Hardware info that we can get using WMI

Posted by YogiYang 
Most reliable Hardware info that we can get using WMI
January 27, 2022 02:39PM
Hello,

I have never used WMI in WD. But there is a ready to use demo provided. But this demo is dependent on .NET for WMI.

In the demo I could not understand as to how to get for example motherboard (baseboard) serial # or Bios manufacturer directly. But I am playing with it at present.

While I am playing with it I would like to know as to which is the most reliable hardware information that will not change even if user updates Windows or formats the system.

I want this information to build my own simple but effective copy protection for an application that I am planning to distribute once it is completed.

TIA

--
Yogi Yang
Re: Most reliable Hardware info that we can get using WMI
January 27, 2022 04:25PM
Hi,

at the command prompt type:

wmic baseboard get product,manufacturer,version,serialnumber

without any spaces between the parameters product,manufacturer ...

There was even a thread on this forum as well, the most interesting number is the UUID

[www.wxforum.info]

Kind regards,
Guenter Predl
office@windev.at

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2022 05:00PM by gpredl.
Re: Most reliable Hardware info that we can get using WMI
January 28, 2022 02:55PM
Hello,

Thanks a lot for pointing me to this old post.

From what I have understood we should use the command prompt and extract hardware detail and then use them in protection.

I think BIOS SerialNumber and UUID would suffice.

Let me see if this is practically workable.

TIA

--
Yogi Yang
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.