Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Program freezes after Print Preview

Posted by gpredl 
Program freezes after Print Preview
October 20, 2021 09:04AM
Hi,

our project worked just fine in WINDEV 24 / version 077f

as we found out, starting with WINDEV 25 and continuing in WINDEV 26, the program freezes after coming back from Print Preview. Nothing works, one has to remove the program using the Windows Task Manager!

I tried to make a short demo version in WINDEV 26 for PC Soft support - unfortunately, that "demo" works just fine. No freezing. Has there been any experience / solution of a similar problem?

Kind regards,
Guenter Predl
office@windev.at

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2021 10:30AM by gpredl.
Re: Program freezes after Print Preview
October 20, 2021 11:24AM
Hi Guenter,

did you try a other windows standard printer ? We had the same issues with some HP driver as standard printer.

regards Michael

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2021 11:25AM by Michael Drechsel.
October 20, 2021 01:17PM
Hi Michael,

no, in WD24 it just works fine. The same program in WD25 or WD26 freezes after the Print Preview.

I stripped the window of all extraneous code and still, there's the freezing.

The same code within a newly made window does not freeze!

So, it seems to be something from old, old times deeply hidden in that window.

Kind regards,
Guenter Predl
office@windev.at
October 20, 2021 02:40PM
Hi Guenter,
do you upgrade your AAF windows when moving to a new version?

Regards
Steven Sitas
October 20, 2021 05:18PM
Hi Steve, no, which windows? DialogBoxes?

Kind regards,
Guenter Predl
office@windev.at
October 20, 2021 07:19PM
Hi Guenter,

Project description, Style, Report viewer

Regards
Steven Sitas
October 21, 2021 06:31AM
Hi Steve,

no changes. The same MDI-window works fine in version 24 but freezes after the Print Preview in version 25 and 26. A customer pointed to the problem in a v25 version of the program, I did not expect that anything changed when moving to v25 and therefore I did not thoroughly test the 200+ windows of the program. It never comes back from print preview:

iEndPrinting()
info("End of Preview!")

In v25/26 the message box is never shown, in v24 it is shown. If I cannot find the problem then I'll go back to version 24.

Kind regards,
Guenter Predl
office@windev.at
October 21, 2021 10:51AM
Hi Guenter,
are these NETWORK printers? This may have nothing to do with WX versions ...

There is an issue with Microsofts latest security updates _AND_ networking printing.
Uninstall your current printer drivers _AND_ install them as admin _OR_ print to a local printer with NO printer queues to see if it helps.

Regards
Steven Sitas
October 21, 2021 11:21AM
Hi Steve, no, this is a Canon ink printer, the printer is connected directly to the development computer! I tried too many hours now, sent a mail to PC Soft, no answer yet, of course. For the time being, the way around is using the built-in PDF-Reader control on a separate window. This takes some time, generating the PDF and opening the window afterwards ... however, it works. And that counts for our customers.

Thank you for caring!!

Kind regards,
Guenter Predl
office@windev.at
October 21, 2021 02:54PM
Hi Guenter,
One last thing - check to see where temporary files (for printing) are saved _AND_ delete them.
I have read - somewhere - about this problem but I cannot recall where ...

Regards
Steven Sitas
Re: Program freezes after Print Preview "SOLVED"
October 29, 2021 12:31PM
Hi all,

the problem was that this was a project from version 24 and many previous versions. Obviously, it carries some junk over to v25 and this junk inhibits the print preview returning control to the program. It hangs.

The not so simple solution is to make a new version 26 project and import all of the windows from v24, the global procedures and the project code from the v24 project. It works now.

Kind regards,
Guenter Predl
office@windev.at
November 01, 2021 04:39PM
look if the screen in minimized in some wayu and drag the screen back to the normal size position. Then all should work fin e again .Had that problem as well It seems it freezes but it doewsnot ist displays printscreen next to your monitor. Onley a thin line is displayed .

regards
November 02, 2021 02:30AM
Hello Guenter Predl

I have had this issue show up last couple of weeks. The cause was the print preview screen was opening way off screen with no way to get it back. After a lot of research final found where it was stored in the registry and fixed it. I was able to program a reset for other users if it occurred again. The value in the registry for the print preview window was -1462 x -2880

I also upgraded from 24 to 26 when this issue came up.

DW
November 02, 2021 06:58AM
Hi cabinetman,
thank you, my problem was that the preview screen was perfectly to be seen, printing could be done without problems but after closing the print preview screen, the WINDEV 25 / 26 application freezed. Closing aof the app possible by task manager only. This application is in existence since WINDEV 5.5 and has been moved forward from version to version, has been renewed and refurbished - but the PROJECT hasn't been changed since 20 years. This didn't show any problems until WINDEV 24. I had to start a new project in WD26, copy all of the ~200 windows and code from the v24 project and now it works just fine again, no problem with the print preview anymore.

Kind regards,
Guenter Predl
office@windev.at
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.