Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[WD25] - Unknown Publisher

Posted by JP 
JP
[WD25] - Unknown Publisher
December 05, 2020 07:46AM
Hi All

So I upgraded some WD24 apps to WD25 - just recompiled them. They work fine on my machine. I transferred to a Windows 2012 server and now when I try and run them I get "trying to run a program from an unknown publisher" message which I have to allow to run the apllication. Never had this with any prior version of WinDev when we upgraded our apps. Any ideas how to solve this and why this is happening with WD25 ?
Re: [WD25] - Unknown Publisher
December 05, 2020 07:58AM
Hi,

probably you did not sign your application. Windows 10 is very touchy in that respect - even with signed applications! "This application is downloaded very seldom, are you sure ...?" Not a good introduction for new users. "Seldom" is about 1000 downloads in M$'s view!

Kind regards,
Guenter Predl
office@windev.at
JP
December 05, 2020 09:41AM
Guenter

This is Windows Server 2012 on which I have run previous versions of this app in previous versions of WinDev with never seeing this message.

Signing the app - I have never signed WinDev apps. Is this required now in WD25 ?
December 05, 2020 10:14AM
Hi JP,

signing of an app is required as soon as an app is published. Most OSes will balk at unsigned apps. You have to sign the .exe as well as the install-package (as well an exe). Signing of the compiled exe is regularily done by WINDEV. If you prepare the install-package by WINDEV as well then signing is done by WINDEV too. Bad: you have to translate/localize WDSETUP We make the install package using Inno Setup otherwise we'd have to translate WDSETUP each and every year. Get a signature for your company and be careful to have no spaces within your name. With any space in the company's name the signature will not work with Java.

Kind regards,
Guenter Predl
office@windev.at
JP
December 05, 2020 10:47AM
Guenter

Sorry, I am not even using a setup package. I compiled the EXE on my dev machine as I always do. Then transfered it to my own server, as I always have done. But previously it just ran in versions WD24 and prior. But now it has thi "unknown publisher" thing going on.

How does one get a signature certificat for this purpose? And why does this happen in WD25 but not WD24 and prior?
December 05, 2020 12:40PM
Hello JP,

we buy the certificate from A-Trust [www.a-trust.at] I know it is 360,- Euro per year

See: [www.a-trust.at]

Kind regards,
Guenter Predl
office@windev.at

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2020 12:53PM by gpredl.
JP
December 05, 2020 12:56PM
OK, thanks. I notice that if I just uncheck the "always check this aplication type" checkbox on the warning screen that the next time I try and run it, Windows does not ask/warn again. I gues Windows is remembering my choice for that exe. Thaks for the info, will check into it.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.