Advanced

[WD23] Wormholes in Windev?

Posted by Ola 
Ola
[WD23] Wormholes in Windev?
October 21, 2020 06:31PM
Hi all,

Sometimes I almost cry!

Like yesterday and today: I first built a nice little table plus three buttons, a spinner and two local procedures to manage that table, all within a file maintenance form . All possible labels and variables were extracted from the control names and all possible variable references in them were indirected, in order to make them easy to copy for use also elsewhere.
Then I tested them thoroughly and they all worked just fine.

Now that they worked, I actually copied them all for another purpose within the same form, changed all labels and names that needed to be changed, checked everything a couple of times, and then tested. Nothing worked properly in the new set of controls and the table was messed-up. The original set of controls still worked OK. So I checked and re-checked and re-re-checked... No luck. I even deleted the .cpl directory and repaired the project, but nothing helped.

Then I started to do some idiotic code changes back and forth in the problem codes, changing really nothing in the end. Also added a liberal amount of info windows in the problem codes. And suddenly, they all started to work!
Windev is so ten times faster.... But it's those worms inside...

This was not the first time I noticed that new code does not work immediately, until it is somehow "massaged" and maybe some testmode info windows added.

I wonder whether anybody else has had similar experiences with WD.

Best regards
Ola

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2020 06:39PM by Ola.
Al
Re: [WD23] Wormholes in Windev?
October 21, 2020 07:43PM
Hello Ola

I have not had the same problems but I don't copy a lot of existing controls into the same form and then edit them. If I have a lot of controls or a table, I copy them into a blank form, edit them in there and then copy them back.
Saves a lot of problems with Windev adding a number make the duplicate control names unique and gives me an absolute clean environment.

I also only use indirection unless there is no other way.

If that doesn't work, see if you can extract the worms, take a break and go fishing smiling smiley

Regards
Al
Ola
October 21, 2020 08:22PM
Hi Al,

Thanks for the suggestions. Making copies in another window sounds like a good idea.

I also started thinking that maybe my mistake in this case was doing it all in the same session. Maybe saving everything first and restarting WD and possibly also the whole computer might have helped to avoid the worms.

Usually I've had no problems with indirections. I use them a lot and they've been a great timesaver. Together with window templates they actually replace the need for a decent two-way RAD. Of course they must be carefully tested, because if they are wrong, Windev doesn't tell about it untill it runs into them.

But about fishing. Usually I place a pal at the opposite end seat of the rowing boat, a chessboard and a wine bottle (Australian of course -- I've been too often disappointed with French wines) on the mid seat, and myself at the other end seat, and row the boat to a good fishing spot. Worms I don't use at all. I put a plain hook in the lake, and hope the fish won't come and disturb me spinning smiley sticking its tongue out.

Best regards
Ola
October 25, 2020 05:06PM
Hi Ola,

the secret is: just re-compile the project!

Kind regards,
Guenter Predl
office@windev.at
Ola
October 26, 2020 01:45PM
Hi Guenter,

Thanks for the suggestion.

Didn't help me. That's the first thing I did. And then I did the repair. And I deleted the <projectname>.CPL directory, which also causes a full compilation. But no luck. The trick that finally solved the problem was "massaging" the code, or doing changes in the code back and forth, but so that nothing was actually changed in the end. Then it started to work.

I could also have tried and delete the <projectname>.env file. It's sometimes the last straw to help in the most idiotic problems, but I didn't want to do that, because it would have destroyed all my environment settings.

Best regards
Ola
Ola
November 23, 2020 01:26PM
Hi all,

This problem turned out to be more serious than it originally looked like. I've now noticed that all the multilingual messages in this form (45 in total) were totally messed up at least 10 times faster than I could have done it manually. Not very nice.
Now I'm searching for old enough backups where I could copy and paste the original messages back. Luckily I have them...

Best regards
Ola
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.