Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[WD20] - Possibilities to integrate RFID Reader

Posted by YogiYang 
[WD20] - Possibilities to integrate RFID Reader
February 09, 2019 05:24AM
Hello,

I have a need to be able to integrate RFID reader and tags in my application.

Are there any samples in WD that would allow communication with RFID reader connected to PC?

If anyone has any experience please guide me.

TIA

--
Yogi Yang
Re: [WD20] - Possibilities to integrate RFID Reader
February 09, 2019 06:56AM
Hi Yogi,

"WHICH reader?" is the foremost question. For integration of any peripheral - most times - there is a type of connection (USB, COM, Parallel, Keyboard ..) and a driver software. There are examples of how to communicate with the reader in the associated documentation. There are some ways to make undocumented hardware usable.

Kind regards,
Guenter Predl
office@windev.at
Christoph Erdmann
February 09, 2019 09:44AM
Hallo Yogi,

we have integrated different solutions for different RFID (Reader / Reader + Wiriter) devices in our software, but only HITAG1 (125kHz) and EM 4xxx. If you have special questions, we will try to help you.

Christoph
February 10, 2019 08:23AM
gpredl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> "WHICH reader?" is the foremost question. For
> integration of any peripheral - most times - there
> is a type of connection (USB, COM, Parallel,
> Keyboard ..) and a driver software. There are
> examples of how to communicate with the reader in
> the associated documentation. There are some ways
> to make undocumented hardware usable.

Sorry I do not know that as on date. As they are going to procure it from China.

The instrument will have USB interface for connecting it with PC.

I am a bit skeptic about documentation accompanying this instrument.

TIA

--
Yogi Yang
February 10, 2019 09:13AM
Hi Yogi,

just as a general advice: as a maker of software make it your principle to advice your customers of the computer's and peripheral hardware to be used. Don't say: "a handheld" but say which hardware and which brand and OS-version you're going to accept. Never let customers decide about that! We buy our own hardware, develop at least a demo-program to show (us) that it is working well. Last negative example had been a WLAN at a customer's location, a big restaurant. No, they wanted to keep their own WLAN hardware, the best one as they said. We found out the hard way that the "best one" could not offer "roaming" for 7"-Windows tablets. Now they have to use our software with Samsung / Android 8.1. Such problems cause delays and annoyances on both sides. If someone wants to use our software on their devices - all extra time and problems are on their expense.

Kind regards,
Guenter Predl
office@windev.at
pao
February 11, 2019 06:41PM
If it's only to read RFID tags normally it's possible to use devices with keyboard emulation connected thru USB, in this case you don't have to do anything in your app because the reader acts as one keyboard and will fill the tag ID in the field you have the focus.

If you don't know anything about the reader, just wait until they tell you how it works.

For RFID 125KHZ or 13,56MHZ you can find some USB readers with keyboard emulation in china for sure, just check the ZKTECO site for instance.

Regards

Paulo Oliveira

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2019 10:53AM by pao.
February 12, 2019 01:17PM
I agree with Guenter, try not to let your customer dictate to you, but I know it's difficult sometimes.

As far as the RFID hardware goes - I bought a cheap 13.56mhz usb reader, some RFID cards and some RFID tags as a package for less than £10 just to test the technology - it works well and the reader is just slightly larger than a credit card. Pretty much just plug-n-play and they are widely available on ebay. It works in a similar way to a barcode reader - just reads the serial number from the FRID card/tag into the input buffer.

Obviously, more expensive options are available, such as card readers/(re)programmers etc...

Regards,
Darren.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.