Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[WD22] FTP connection commands on Windows 7

Posted by DarrenF 
[WD22] FTP connection commands on Windows 7
February 07, 2019 01:18PM
Hi all,

I've been reading a post from a while ago discussing an FTP issue/error - the message is "Unable to modify directory to /."

A customer has "all of a sudden" started getting this error message after using the FTP send window I developed several years ago. I've yet to find out what might have changed on their workstation/PC, but what are the current reasons for this error message when sending a single file to an FTP server on Windows 7 - are there any patches or something else that needs to be considered??? I'm at a total loss as to what can cause this type of thing when it's been working for years?!

Anyone got any ideas and pointers as I thought it had been patched by PCS and fixed by M$?

Any help gratefully received....

Regards,
Darren.
pao
Re: [WD22] FTP connection commands on Windows 7
February 07, 2019 01:49PM
Did you try using FTPParameter(ftpParameterMode, 1)
[doc.windev.com]

Regards

Paulo Oliveira
February 07, 2019 03:10PM
Hi Paulo,

Thanks for your response....

To be honest, I'm not at my dev PC at the moment but the code is so old, I'm pretty sure I didn't use FTPParameter at the time because there was no need to and all those years ago (circa v17/18) when the issue was circulating I remember using the mantra; "if it ain't broke, then don't fix it".

Anyhow, I've spent time investigating this and was hoping to maybe find a solution that didn't involve a code change, but there might not be an alternative way out of this BUT, because I can't see the error on any of my test machines, it's a bit of a "shot in the dark" as to whether this is the actual problem or not and whether FTPParameter will actually fix it. The owners of the FTP server have assured me "nothing has changed" at their end. I was doubting them because there have been so many problems in the past that were usually of their making (like running out of disk space on the server etc...), but this time I kinda believe them as I can connect via FileZilla and xfer the file and multiple PC's on my side. It's kinda wierd in a way, 'cos the PC connects, it just can't seem to get to the right folder to send the file on their PC.

Ah well... here goes...

Regards,
Darren.
pao
February 07, 2019 03:26PM
As far as i remember without FTPParameter(ftpParameterMode, 1) Windev uses IE to make the FTP, it may be a problem with IE and not with the ftp server.
FTPParameter(ftpParameterMode, 1) appears only in V18 (undocumented function) and it was documented in the V19.

Check this pages in the FAQ section:
[faq.windev.com]
[faq.pcsoft.fr]

Regards

Paulo Oliveira
February 07, 2019 03:52PM
Thanks Paulo - yes I remember all the fuss around this at the time and it being caused by IE of all things.

I'll check the code, but I still can't explain why it has suddenly started to happen on a W7 PC that has been in use for years. I don't know if the issue was fixed by M$ and a recent Windows update has broken the fix. The user has had IE installed since the machine was purchased many years ago - very strange!

Regards,
Darren.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.