Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Reports and Queries

Posted by joe crevino 
joe crevino
Reports and Queries
July 08, 2009 11:00PM
If I modify a report at a clients location. What file is that mofication in. I need to bring it back to the office to include in the next release of the app.

thank you,
joe
Andres Sanchez
Re: Reports and Queries
July 09, 2009 02:37AM
Joe:

This is information I did not find anywhere in WD documentation.

Apparently when you change a report with Reports and Queries, it will create a sub-directory named "Reports and Queries" just below the directory where the exe is located, and save the new edited version in there, if you erase that directory or the contents it will use the original report.

BUT
There are several questions I dont know how to use this "Reports and Queries" module, for instance, let's say I have a report designed for printing my checks, but I have several bank formats, how can I have several working versions of the same report and select the one that I need depending on the bank to print.

And also let's say one user creates a new report, how can I share the report to the other users, being that I have local installations of the program and just sharing data in a server.

And how to call that new report from the program that is not on the menu ?, Can I make somekind of selection menu on my program in order to call a specific report.

This is a very powerfull module, but I think that documentation is failing to tell us how to use it. The documentation just tells a user how to use the IDE in order to make or edit the report.

Thanks

Andres Sanchez
Arie
July 09, 2009 10:17AM
Andres Sanchez
There are several questions I dont know how to use this "Reports and Queries" module, for instance, let's say I have a report designed for printing my checks, but I have several bank formats, how can I have several working versions of the same report and select the one that I need depending on the bank to print.
In that case you need to name the report yourself. You cannot stick to the reports original name anymore.
sReport = "c:\sanchez\reports adn queries\bank1.rpt"
iInitReportQuery(sFile)
iPrintReport(sFile)

Andres Sanchez
And also let's say one user creates a new report, how can I share the report to the other users, being that I have local installations of the program and just sharing data in a server.
WD uses a users-personal-report-map AND a common shared-among-all-users-report-map. Both are searched to find a modified report. But your right: reports get located everywhere if all users are allowed to modify them. Very likely you loose control.

And how to call that new report from the program that is not on the menu ?, Can I make somekind of selection menu on my program in order to call a specific report.
I'm saving the reports in the database and extract them on-the-fly. In fact, I instruct the users to do so, via a dedicated "WindowHandleReports" I made.

This is a very powerfull module, but I think that documentation is failing to tell us how to use it. The documentation just tells a user how to use the IDE in order to make or edit the report.

Thanks

Andres Sanchez
Andres Sanchez
July 09, 2009 05:49PM
Arie:

Thanks, this opens a lot of possibilities for me.

Arie Mars
WD uses a users-personal-report-map AND a common shared-among-all-users-report-map. Both are searched to find a modified report. But your right: reports get located everywhere if all users are allowed to modify them. Very likely you loose control.

Yes i read somewhere abaout the common shared-among-all-users, but it doesn´t say where it is or how to tell WD about it. Can you comment on this ?

Andres Sanchez

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2009 05:53PM by Andres Sanchez.
joe crevino
July 09, 2009 10:20PM
You folks are expressing the frustration I have felt using the powerful(?) product.

joe
Arie
July 09, 2009 10:31PM
Have a look at fReportsAndQueriesDir()
Arie
joe crevino
July 09, 2009 11:36PM
Thank you ... I will
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.