Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Windows 7 / Deleted file not really deleted!!

Posted by Paul Turner 
Paul Turner
Windows 7 / Deleted file not really deleted!!
June 16, 2009 12:43PM
Hi all

This problem is really driving me nuts!! I have some HF Classic files with some data in them stored in \ProgramData\application\data. I delete those files through Windows Explorer, and empty the recycle bin to make sure they are really gone. I then use HCreationIfNotFound to recreate the files and do nothing else. When I check inside the files the data is magically there as per the files I deleted before recreating them!!

I expect it is due to some Windows setting I'm unaware of, as I am finding the HFCS databases which I delete through the control centre magically reappear again a short time later.

Help please!!!

Rgds
Paul Turner
Jimbo
Re: Windows 7 / Deleted file not really deleted!!
June 16, 2009 01:17PM
Hi Paul, Windows Vista + 7 store so called 'shadow copies' of files, this enables the OS to offer older versions of a certain file. Look into Windows Help or ask PC Soft Tech Support. Imho HCreationIfNotFound(..) is the wrong command anyway. Most primitive way for HF Classic is to look whether the file is present by fFileExist(..) and if not, to do an HCreation(..) of the file otherwise a simple HOpen(..). In old times it had been revealed that HCreationIfNotFound(..) is too slow for opening the files of a medium-sized analysis. Furthermore, HOpen(..) offers a lot of information by error codes where HCreationIfNotFound(..) is a bit reduced in that respect plus it offers a delayed opening of files which, in some specific situations, can lead to problems somewhere deep in your code. Kind regards, Guenter

Paul Turner
Re: Windows 7 / Deleted file not really deleted!!
June 16, 2009 03:31PM
Thanks Guenter. I found the problem was actually something called a VirtualStore, which I had never come across before. Time for some study!!
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.