Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Safe enough to upgrade to WebDev-14?

Posted by Shahine 
Shahine
Safe enough to upgrade to WebDev-14?
June 12, 2009 04:20PM
Hi All,

I keep reading about the bugs, and IDE crashes, upgrade problems in Windev-14, which is very worrying.

I mainly use Webdev-12 (as supposed to Windev) and I have to say it is a delight to use.

Most of my work is on huge commercial browser based applications, and generally I have to work to very tight deadlines. Some of the new features in Webdev-14 are very tempting indeed.

The question is should I upgrade now, or wait a bit longer for these bugs and IDE crashes to be fixed?

What is your experience of Webdev-14 compared to Webdev-12? Is it stable enough for me to port a truly massive database application (many many pages) to it?
Will I end up fixing bugs for the rest of the month?

Thank You
Shahine

Bill Tcherno
Re: Safe enough to upgrade to WebDev-14?
June 12, 2009 04:37PM
Hi,

According to my long Wxxdev experience, I always wait 6 to 9 months for migrating our applications to new versions.

As PcSoft considers its customers as beta (even alpha ?) testers, I have *never* seen new Wxxdev versions being enough stable to take the huge risk to crash our informations system.

So we always buy new versions as soon as they are published, to get the special price. But the software stays for months in the box, as long as we read horror stories in the different WIndev forums.

If you do not urgently need a V14 feature, you should wait till next winter.

Just my 2 cents...

B.T
Geert Debruyne
Re: Safe enough to upgrade to WebDev-14?
June 17, 2009 03:30PM
Hello,

this is also my way of working: we ahve a 'release minus one' strategy, which means we NEVER use the lastest version the first 9 months, about teh same way Bille has mentioned.

Although ther are some features we like in WD14, we will not move to 14 until the end of the year!

Geert
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.