Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

combine windows in Plane Mode

Posted by Hans60 
Hans60
combine windows in Plane Mode
June 01, 2009 12:45PM
Hi all
Is there a simple way to stack windows in to planes after they have been created, in order to have the project view not so crowded?

Thanks for any hints
Hans
Jeff Graham
Re: combine windows in Plane Mode
June 01, 2009 05:26PM
Hi Hans,

You can create multiple planes by assigning all the controls on that window to plane 1. (Select all and right click to assign to a plane.) Then page down to plane 2 and copy and paste the controls from another window. Then repeat that for as many planes as you need. You will have to make coding changes for the controls and change window calls to setting planes. There may be easier ways.

You might also want to look at internal windows as another way to combine windows.

Jeff.
ICI
June 01, 2009 09:57PM
I think also that internal window is better way to manage your windows.
You can see it into project but ChangeSourceWindow(IW_Control, IW_MyWindow) is not memory hungry like Planes. Planes are all opened but just not visible into same moment, till Internal Window is opened into same window and replace older so you don't need to create so many windows, just one.
Jimbo
June 02, 2009 06:38AM
Hi ICI, be careful, internal windows have other limitations. Of course, there is a solution to all limitations, for myself, the worst with internal windows is that you cannot use RAD in order to produce masses of internal windows. But that depends on the type of project. For myself, I have the same effect with separate windows in MDI - always maximize the MDI-window within the frame. Kind regards, Guenter
ICI
June 02, 2009 08:56AM
Yes Guenter, I agree.
In my case I have "Internal window Template" with style, controls and so on and I do not use RAD to create windows and controls. 'Couse of that, I recommend IW_Window.
So, there is many solutions to use WinDev. All depend on project and offcourse on programmers concept. But, I think you agree, if Hans put all windows into one window with Planes it is much harder to control code and with time, he can stuck into own code.
Planes are great solution, but like all other, have limitations,... :cheers:
Hans60
June 02, 2009 04:42PM
thanks for all your hints!

The thinking behind was to have better overview of all the windows, but I guess for that I could use custom folders.

As PPC 's are not very powerful machines- in regard to processor and memory -is it correct to say that individual windows provide pest performance while planes and internal windows use more memory?

Thanks
again
Arie
June 02, 2009 04:55PM
Hans,
I found performance of WM apps is rather bad, in the first place. I use a device with PXA270-540MHz (Pidion 5000) and opening a window is rather slow. You can acutally see the window when it's drawing.
I rewrote my app and it's using one window now, with about 15 planes. So instead of opening windows I show/hide planes. It's the only way for me, to get an application at acceptable speed.
Second: the touchscreens are rather sensitive. Using the stylus very often result in 2 "clicks" instead of one. Which causes undesired behavior. When moving to another plane on the first click, the second click actives a button on that new plane.Did not solve that yet...

Using HF-tables is rather fast however. It's only the UI which is too slow.

Arie
Hans60
June 03, 2009 02:01PM
Hi Arie
are you using Mobile version 6.x on your PDA or version 5, because that could be a reason version 6 is much better.
The two click issue I have also seen on non max windows.
I found that any of the fancy graphic buttons slow down the screen painting quite a bit. It improoves when using plain buttons. Database performance is ok, I tested with close to 50,000 records
Btw are you using version 12 or 14?
Regards
Hans
Arie
June 03, 2009 02:20PM
Hans,
I'm using V12 now. I tested V14 very short (just curious if just recompiling would be enough...) and didn;t notice any performance gain.

Are you sure about wm6? That would be interesting to know.
According to my Pidion reseller WM6 is not much faster. They said plain CE would make more difference, but also not that much. (AFAIK: WM5/WM6 are running the CE-engine as well, without an extra Microsoft layer (mainly GUI) ).

Arie
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.