Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

best way to 'tag' a record

Posted by Joel 
Joel
best way to 'tag' a record
May 24, 2009 03:13PM
Hi -

I have a table that lists documents - their names, locations, etc. I want to 'tag' each document with who has the ability to use it. What's the best way?

Right now I have another table that lists the doc with it's user - so there are multiple entries of each doc if it has more than one user.

I was also thinking that I could create a field in the doc table and store the user names directly in there, separated with a space or comma or something. Then use some sort of String manipulation to find out who can use it.

I'm sure there are other approaches, but not having a lot of experience, I'm not sure which way to go. Any suggestions?

Al
Re: best way to 'tag' a record
May 24, 2009 06:23PM
Hello Joel

Your existing method of using another file is the best way. All it needs is the primary key of the document file and the primary key of the user file and it is indexed on both fields. This would provide a list of documents available to a user and users with access to a document.
With the addition of a "transaction" type and a date field this file could be used to provide not only an access permission record but also record of issue and return of the document if required.

Regards
Al
Joel
Re: best way to 'tag' a record
May 24, 2009 06:34PM
Great! and I like the 'record of issue' idea too!

Thanks!
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.