Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[WD12] Vista issue

Posted by Al 
Al
[WD12] Vista issue
May 19, 2009 02:14AM
Hello All

One of our sites has reported problems with a new computer running Business Vista, all other workstations are running XP.

When our software is running, the computer will intermittently lock up, and when this happens other computers in the network drop out. I assume they are timing out.
Everything is fine when the other non Vista workstations are running without the Vista machine.

I thought it may have been an oplocking issue and they have turned this off on the server and all the other computers, but oplocking cannot be turned off in Vista.

We have other sites where a few workstations are running Vista and they have not reported any problems so it may be a hardware issue on that specific computer. I have asked their hardware guy to try another NIC but have not heard back yet about that idea.

All thoughts appreciated

Regards
Al
KenKnight
Re: [WD12] Vista issue
May 19, 2009 03:37AM
Hi Al,

Couple of questions, what method of connecting to the database with WinDev are you using HF on a shared network drive or HFCS?

If it is HF on a shared network, is this shared resource on an XP or Vista machine or is it a Win2k3 server? If it is XP or Vista, you may want to investigate the 10 user lock that is imposed on these systems for shared resources.

Cheers!
ken

PS. I would still continue to investigate the NIC.
Jimbo
May 19, 2009 07:41AM
Hi Al, how is the Vista machine connected to the server? Should be a switch, not a hub. Old 10 Mbit networks (coax) tend to show grounding problems. Just try to find out if locking of the network happens without running your program, this could help you to exclude / include your software as being the culprit. Try to remove the hard disk and set up XP and your software on that machine. If it is hardware, network-locking should occur under XP too.
Kind regards,
Guenter
Al
May 19, 2009 08:53AM
Hello Ken and Guenter

Thanks for your replies.

The database is hyperfile classic. The program and data reside in the same folder on the server. The server in question is Windows SBS and everything works fine under XP and we have other clients runing combinations of XP and Vista workstations without problems
Workstations have access to the software and data via a mapped server drive and run the exe directly from the server. The software is an exe and a single large wdl file (30+mb)

I am not sure about the hub or switch, but whatever, the cabling is ethernet not co-ax

Our client has since informed me that they are willing to downgrade the workstation to XP.
I will encourage them to try another NIC before we go down that path

Regards
Al
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.