Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

WD11/12 Longing for RAD

Posted by DarrenF 
DarrenF
WD11/12 Longing for RAD
April 17, 2008 04:30PM
Hi All,

I've almost completed entering my Analysis in WD11 and intend to start the coding part of my project by using RAD and then tweak and enhance windows etc... as required.

My questions are:

Has anyone used the RAD functionality in WD12 yet?

How configurable is it? Con

Should I wait for the English version of WD12 before I go down my RAD route?

Thanks for any input/ideas...

Regards,
Darren.
Bob Stratton (bosher)
Re: WD11/12 Longing for RAD
April 17, 2008 10:40PM
Hi Darren,

From what I understand the RAD is very different (RADically) in fact :joke: (Sorry. Wasn't that good)

I would wait if I were you

Cheers

Bob
Peter H.
Re: WD11/12 Longing for RAD
April 17, 2008 11:38PM
Hi,

I've been playing around with the new RAD a bit over the last months and it is all very promising since it uses several OO concepts (encapsulation, inheritence, polymorphism. E.g.: not distroying your changes made in the generated artefacts and automatically committing additions, changes and delations from the analysis in the datamodel back to those artefacts). It is not very well documented yet in the online help and the learning curve will be much steeper than with the old RAD. However, it is the only true RAD because it isn't static as it was with the old RAD. Also, I think you need to invest quiet some time in order to truely master it and create your own RAD pattern (That's how it is called now) but on the otehr hand I see immense opportunities. Until now (like most of us) I never used the old RAD because it was way to static and limited creating rich non modal UI possibilities. The new RAD covers most of these areas. Ideally I still would like to see a stronger seperation between the presentation and the business tier (Especially when using WB and WD and WM on the same project). Probably you can script it yourself using some base classes once you master the concepts of it.

So in short: I would wait for sure on the new RAD but the learning curve will be harder (because of the added flexibility and roundtripping features: model, build, execute, improve, model, ...)

Just my 2 cents,

Peter Holemans
DarrenF
Re: WD11/12 Longing for RAD - but when?
April 18, 2008 12:54AM
Hi Bob/Peter,

Many thanks for taking time out to reply...

It all looks very promising :spos:

You know my next question... when will the English version be available and how long will I have to wait chomping at the bit!?

I've heard rumours it's normally 6 months after the French version?

Cheers...

Regards,
Darren
Bob Stratton (bosher)
Re: WD11/12 Longing for RAD - but when?
April 18, 2008 07:43AM
Hi Darren

Latest update is 'sometime in May'....

Cheers

Bob
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.