Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Logical Window/File Names

Posted by Al 
Al
Logical Window/File Names
April 19, 2009 04:14AM
Hello All

Can anyone enlighten me as to the purpose of the "Logical Name" that Windev uses for windows and files etc?
When would you use the "logical name" in preference to the actual file name ?

For me it only causes problems as occassionally the logical name will suddenly aquire a "1" as a suffix. This can also happen after a "SaveAs"
The actual file name stays the same but then there is a battle to change the logical name to be the same as the actual name.
e.g. abc.wdw with "abc" as it's logical name will become "abc1" for it's logical name.

Regards
Al
Jimbo
Re: Logical Window/File Names
April 19, 2009 08:08AM
Al
Hello All

Can anyone enlighten me as to the purpose of the "Logical Name" that Windev uses for windows and files etc?
When would you use the "logical name" in preference to the actual file name ?

For me it only causes problems as occassionally the logical name will suddenly aquire a "1" as a suffix. This can also happen after a "SaveAs"
The actual file name stays the same but then there is a battle to change the logical name to be the same as the actual name.
e.g. abc.wdw with "abc" as it's logical name will become "abc1" for it's logical name.

Regards
Al

Hi Al,

I have to produce a series of different products where one product contains large parts of another. The datafiles of each product have unified physical file names which start with BS.. BX.. KP.. BP.. and so on. Except groupware files, which are put in a separate database and are named all with MyGPW.. as a beginning of the name. Each group of customers (= users of a distinctive product) believes that their product is unique because of the different file names. However, programming is much easier because we don't use the prefixes of the physical files in code, just the logical names, and we can easily move around parts of the projects (windows, procedures ..) from one project to others. Just copy & paste. So windows have always the same names while fuiles are named differently.

Kind regards,
Guenter
Al
April 19, 2009 11:14PM
Hello Guenter

Thanks for the explanation.

Regards
Al
Piet van Zanten
April 20, 2009 10:10AM
Hi Al,

In my experience the 1 is added to the logical name of a window if it's copied.
Sometimes Windev thinks the original window is still in the project, while it isn't, and it refuses to rename the copied window to the original name. (Delete the .cpl folder and/or restart Windev)
I also noticed that Windev 12 renames a window on disk to match it's logical name if you save it after the the logical name has been modified, which I think is very handy.
I'm always using a programming charter now and had some old windows without the win_ prefix. When I renamed the windows and saved them, their name on disk had also changed.

Regards,
Piet
Al
April 20, 2009 02:36PM
Hello Piet

You are right about the copy being the cause. Most times it has occurred after a "SaveAs". I will try the methods you suggested to overcome it next time it happens

Regards
Al
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.