Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How to prevent a viewer to download a picture which have been inserted in a website?

Posted by manish matikola.pcs.crosspost 
Hi guys...

Well i am having a problem with images which i am inserting in my website. i want to prevent viewers to download a particular picture. Is this feasible in webdev10? If yes can i know how to do it?

Thanks in advance

Message forwarded from pcsoft.us.windev
I'm not sure if this is available in version 10 but in 12 under the General settings you just click the 'Image Protection' check box.

Jonathan
Hi,

Well, in fact this is almost impossible to do that because the content is downloaded and cached locally. For basic protection is ok for not very technical people (in WD12 there is a feature for that). But for absolute security one must use complex dynamic methods in javascript.

In any other case (normal case - even using the WebDev feature), you can always find a way to get the pictures. For example, in Firefox, go on any web page then use Tools->Page information, go in the Media tab and select the image you want to save and click the save button. There is no javascript protection for that. (Try it on google.com page... you'll be surprised to see how they efficiently have all their images in one single image then they use css to get the exact part they want. Clever.)

Ok, if you have an old version of WD, disable right click with some javascript. (Javascript must be enabled.) But this will not stop someone motivated to get the image.

< IMG src="..." oncontextmenu="return false;" >

Else, you can find many other solutions that can be inserted differently. Like [javascript.internet.com]

Best regards.
Hi again,

If your image must be protected as much as possible, maybe the DataURL approach can be of help to you. Actually, modern web browsers will display the image, but will not be available in the Media section (for Firefox as far as I know).

See [www.sveinbjorn.org] that create one as example... but specially the link of this page to wikipedia: [en.wikipedia.org]

(Oh well, reading the Wiki page I saw that IE has absolutely no support for this and the Beta 8 has support for 32K only. It's probably not a solution for you. Sorry.)

Best regards.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2009 05:27PM by Alexandre Leclerc.
I don't know in version 10 but in 12 there is a check in the General tab of the control image properties that say: Image protection (prevents the backup of the image by the popup menu).

thanks javier for your precious help.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.