Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

LST not in English, why complain …

Posted by BLS 
BLS
LST not in English, why complain …
March 26, 2009 05:19PM
if we can build our own “W Language live-journal”, better, more flexible, more up-to-date with multimedia content.

For sure, this statement is in a need for detailed information/explanation
But at the moment I am simply looking for some feedback .So, j ust a few basic things.

What I can tell now is :
That I am developing a Learning Software, called Doc Niegel, for a friend of mine.
Due to the dynamic nature of the content/documents he is offering we decided to create 2 pieces of Software.
1)Authoring Software - where all the contents is stored on a HF SQL engine living on a dedicated Ubuntu Server. .

2) Consumer/Learning Software - Always up-to-date and in sync. with the data on the Server Engine for SELECTED (payable) content.!

Well, I think you can already imagine the look and feel of such a Developer Journal.

A note : Since our Software (Doc Niegel) requires a dedicated server as well as a HF SQL engine anyway it is just a very small step to imagine to set up SCM which contains the “W-Journal” author/consumer sources/software.
And indeed the “W-Journal” content itsself. (sources/components, text, video, what the heck...)

: ^-^ .. it's up to you. Let's discuss it.

Björn -- nanali (at) wanadoo (dot) fr
Just want to add this :
- Setting up Hyperfile SQL on Ubuntu,
- Setting up SCM, based developer collaboration
- Setting up and using additional developer collaboration tools
- Master slave Replication / limited replication
could be part of W-Journal #1.#cause we need this Technology anyway...

and
The French LST comes with approximative 12 interesting articles each quarter (means 4 a month, 1 a week) seems to be doable for us, no ?

björn
Hans60
Re: LST not in English, why complain …
March 26, 2009 08:18PM
I am interested in any resources as long as it is english and reasonable in price!

Regards
Many thanks for the feedback Hans,

I think the price will/could be very reasonable.

Why :

- No high gloss print medium

- You only pay for articles in which you are interested.

- Some articles ( likewise, DID YOU KNOW, PROBLEMS AND SOLUTIONS) are for free

- In opposite to the LST you'll have a learning video. (ScreenCam)

- Whenever an article (video / picture / sample source etc.) is updated you will have it . In real time.

But well. at the moment I am the only one who is willing to become a publisher.

björn

Hans60
March 26, 2009 09:38PM
That is exactly what I need. Do you have a time frame to show first results?

Hans
Hans60
March 26, 2009 09:43PM
Btw have you herd of this http://tortoisesvn.net/ used by huge companies and free.

Even hosting for small projects are free http://beanstalkapp.com/

Regards
Hans
Once again, thanks for your feedback.
Time Frame :
A first release will be available, I should better say : could be available with the upcoming WD14 US release. ( Fulltext engine) Development of the Authoring Software starts right now. BUT : Even if I feel "Ready willing and able" to write some articles about OOP, SCM, W language and C++ and W Language and Java... this is for sure not enough (not even in a pipe dream) to have something which is comparable to LST.....................

We have a lot of excellent programmers out there in our community,
Question remains : Are they willing, do they have the time to - share there know-how ?

Myself : I really hope that I can start working in the beginning of June in Australia (depends on a temporary business long stay visa, yeah bureaucrats), given that : I will have very less time.

--- Tortoise etc.
I know about these projects. But Hans, SVN /CVS /GIT /Mercurial and what the heck are definitely not usable for this project and WXDEV projects at all . (We are dealing almost with binary data, have a look at a WINDEV class files *.wdc for example )

björn
marcel.berman@managingbusiness.be.pcs
March 27, 2009 05:03PM
Hi !
I am the president of the Belgian (French Speaking) Users Group of WxDev
products (independant of PC-Soft) and also member of the council of
Wind'Asso the french User Group.

I would be glad to particpate to this project as redactor for some topics if
needed ..
This said, I am french speaking, and I could (let's be be honest, I surely
will !) make some mistakes in english ... But I guess that I could help with
some topics (to be discussed) ...

Regards,
--
Marcel Berman
Président de Be-Dev.be (www.be-dev.be) (Belgique)
Membre du CA de Wind'Asso (www.windasso.org) (France)
Be-Dev.be et Wind'Asso sont des associations d'utilisateurs des produits
PC-Soft
Message forwarded from pcsoft.us.windev
Alexandre Leclerc
March 27, 2009 08:47PM
Hi Björn,

If the web hosting is only for a database and the solution is in WinDev: using PostgreSQL or MySQL could reduce your hosting costs to 0- since many free services offer such databases. Maybe service quality could become an issue if it becomes very popular. But that would be an happy problem to solve at that time.

(In fact, maybe a public / moderated Wiki would do the job for such a project. But it depends if there is a financial interest behind it. I have no problems with that by the way. Maybe this is the only way to encourage good quality content?)

Best Regards.
Hi Alexandre,
thanks for your feedback.

I am convinced that a dedicated Server is necessary and MySQL/PostgreSQL are not an option. Let me explain.

A) Why a dedicated server ?
1) Video content has often a size between 20 and 50 MB. A shared server has downstream limits.
2) Installing HyperfileSQL is impossible and this means installing Windev's SCM is impossiple. ( see B )

cool smiley Why HyperfileSQL ?
1) HFSQL 14 comes with a Full Text Search Engine.
PostgreSQL has this as optional feature too, but I doubt that the PostGreSQL FTSE is accessable from Windev. MySQL has, afaik, no FTS support
2) HFSQL has the better replication support (compared to PG and MySQL)

3) SCM requires HFSQL. (Would be nice if SCM could be used on PostgreSQL, though)
-- WHY SCM at all, you may ask.
Let's say 2 or 3 people are willing to create/publish/sell an accounting component. Acc. rec. Acc. pay. general ledger etc. Given that these folks are living in different places, a SCM is the only way to collaborate.

C) All WX developers have Hyperfile anyway. No need to install MySQL/PostgreSQL on a local machine. (Please keep in mind that a consumer/user will have a local content copy of whatever he /she is interested in. Next : Content like PDF, Video, Pictures is stored with a HF BLOB field)

That said, you can imagine that we need 2 tools. An authoring tool, and a consumer/user tool. Why not develop both of them on our internet hosted SCM ?

Well there is more about. but I have to leave now because I have to watch the Formula 1 qualifying.

Just this about WIKI books,
even very popular tools like python, ruby have often very poor written WIKI books. So I think this is not an option. I am doing opensource development for quite a while and one can find surprisingly cool stuff, but when it comes to the point where documentation is required....even the biggest opensource enthusiast is loosing interest. If you want good/professionel documentation, you have to pay for that.

sorry have to go now... smiling smiley
Björn

Jeff Graham
March 28, 2009 03:19PM
Hi Björn,

You have our support for your efforts. We are certainly willing to pay for the service.

Cheers,

Jeff
Peter Raines
March 29, 2009 05:19AM
mySQL has had full text indexes for a long, long, long time.
Art Bonds
April 01, 2009 07:52AM
Hi Bjorn,

I was curious by this remark:

2) HFSQL has the better replication support (compared to PG and MySQL)

How is HFSQL's replication better than MySQL's (or PostgreSQL's)?

In the web cluster I am planning I would like to use a master-slave(master) replication scheme, where all writes from users are done on a master (with mirrored failover via Heartbeat or similar tool), then replicated to multiple slaves, then the multiple slave replicate to other multiple slaves, etc.

For example:
When the Master get a new record/update to existing record...
Master writes to Slave1 to Slave10

Immediately...
Slave1 writes to Slave 11 to Slave19
Slave2 writes to Slave21 to Slave29
Slave3 writes to Slave31 to Slave39
Slave4 writes to Slave41 to Slave49
Slave5 writes to Slave51 to Slave59
Slave6 writes to Slave61 to Slave69
Slave7 writes to Slave71 to Slave79
Slave8 writes to Slave81 to Slave89
Slave9 writes to Slave91 to Slave99
Slave10 writes to Slave100 to Slave109

Immediately after that...
Slave11 writes to Slave110 to Slave119
Slave12 writes to Slave120 to Slave129
Slave13 writes to Slave130 to Slave139
etc...
Slave99 writes to Slave 990 to Slave100

and so on, in a cascade effect. The only (slight) worry I have is network saturation, but on a gigabit internal network on switches with segregated traffic I don't think its going to be an issue. Or at least its an issue I'd like to be successful enough to test... :spos:

Each machine gets one write to it and it in turn makes 10 writes out, then goes back to its mission as a Master (for incoming writes) or Slave (for servicing incoming web requests).

Granted, this is only if you are planing your web cluster with the forethought (or intention) that the site may get huge, like Facebook or Google... but I'd rather design to grow large and not ever get there, than plan to be small and die on the vine if the site ever takes off and I don't have a scale out plan in place (and it gets slammed into oblivion when it gets Slashdotted).

Thinking out loud for a second here on HOW to do what I just proposed grinning smiley... maybe by using triggers on a write to each server (master or slave)? When a server receives a write it in turn writes to ten other servers whose addresses are stored in a local configuration file? If that is the case, then the replication is software driven... you could just a easily use PGSQL on the backend as you could HFSQL... and PGSQL uses MVCC, which I hear is the preferred method to insure ACID compliance/data integrity (btw, what does HFSQL use? Record locks?). Plus tests show PGSQL scales very well on multi-core machines. Under these circumstances, would HFSQL still be a better choice?

Thanks in advance for any clarification you can offer.

Art
Hi Art,
HyperfileSQL replication is better than … is probably NOT the right diction.

I guess : “More flexible” is what I want to say.

A master - slave replication can be done fine with PostgreSQL*. This is a uni-directional replication task.
Windev however, respective HyperfileSQL allows you do set up Bi-directional replication..

This feature (bi-directional replication) is not available in MySQL or PGSQL* .
In other words : HyperfileSQL is shining in Bi-directional replication over different / non homogeneus DB systems.
---
From what I understand regarding your task, I would like to suggest to have a look at Amazon EC.
(elastic cloud) I think this technology should fit perfectly in what you want to do.

Art, atm I have very less time .. I am always running out of time.... I would be nice if we can have a conversation by skype.

Skype address .
bjoern.lietz.spendig

don't worry about the time difference, thanks to my Australien partners I have a 20 hours day anyway.. smiling smiley
BLS
Hi Marcel ! will reply by email
April 02, 2009 10:54PM
Thanks a lot Marcel, I´ll reply by email..
Kind regards, Björn
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.