Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Worries about performance of Webdev12

Posted by Albert Buitenhuis 
Albert Buitenhuis
Worries about performance of Webdev12
March 23, 2009 11:02PM
Hi all there,

Because of the need to use some of the new features in Webdev12 (e.g. use of unicode/hyperfile subtype; thanks all for your information!), we recently migrated our multilingual portal from Webdev11 to Webdev12. But I do really worry about the performance.

Even the smallest changes in project code may take minutes of processor time. Compiling and regenerating html does not take 10 minutes anymore -as we used to know in Webdev 11- but 50-60 minutes. Working with the latest version of Webdev at this moment, we already gathered 10 A4 pages of errors in the project environment.

The window turns white just clicking from one page to another; or from page to project code...

I wonder: what went wrong? This is really not acceptable anymore.... anybody xperience on this matter; anybody contacted our dear friends in Montpellier? I'm sorry, but an answer like 'in version 14 this will be better' doesn't do for me anymore... this really has to be fixed!

One luck: performance in the executable seems to be fine. So our customers don't need to worry... although... I'm seriously running out of time due to this matter!

Jonathan Buckland.pcs.crosspost
Re: Worries about performance of Webdev12
March 24, 2009 09:52AM
I have developed a few websites using WebDev12 and personally have found the IDE to be slick and have not had the issues you mension. I do get the occational hang but that's only a few times in a weeks worth of development.

My first thoughts on reading your issues was a possible hard disk fragmentation issue. If compiling is that slow maybe your hard disk is badly fragmented so its having to work really hard.

I was also wondering what memory you have installed on your development PC. WebDev can need a lot if the project is very big.

It might help others if you give us some details on the size of your projects.

Best regards

Jonathan

Message forwarded from pcsoft.us.windev
Fabrice Harari.pcs.crosspost
Re: Worries about performance of Webdev12
March 24, 2009 12:08PM
Hi Albert...

Because I'm working of r many different developers, I have been using 11
& 12 on different project, switching from one to the other regularly...
I did not see ANY difference in performance that was noticeable...

By any chance, don't you have an anti-virus for which you excluded the
webdev 11 directory & project, but the not he webdev 12 directory and
project?

Best regards

--
Fabrice Harari
International WinDev, WebDev and WinDev mobile Consulting

More information on [www.fabriceharari.com]

Albert Buitenhuis wrote:
> Hi all there,
> Because of the need to use some of the new features in Webdev12 (e.g. use of unicode/hyperfile subtype; thanks all for your information!), we recently migrated our multilingual portal from Webdev11 to Webdev12. But I do really worry about the performance.
> Even the smallest changes in project code may take minutes of processor time. Compiling and regenerating html does not take 10 minutes anymore -as we used to know in Webdev 11- but 50-60 minutes. Working with the latest version of Webdev at this moment, we already gathered 10 A4 pages of errors in the project environment.
> The window turns white just clicking from one page to another; or from page to project code...
> I wonder: what went wrong? This is really not acceptable anymore.... anybody xperience on this matter; anybody contacted our dear friends in Montpellier? I'm sorry, but an answer like 'in version 14 this will be better' doesn't do for me anymore... this really has to be fixed!
> One luck: performance in the executable seems to be fine. So our customers don't need to worry... although... I'm seriously running out of time due to this matter!
>
>
Message forwarded from pcsoft.us.windev
Albert Buitenhuis
Re: Re: Worries about performance of Webdev12
March 24, 2009 12:44PM
Hi Fabrice/ Jonathan,

Thx!

Fragmentation of the HD might be an issue. Memory is sufficiently available. As Webdev only uses one of the two Centrino cores, processor might be an issue too. We have a really large project environment en do support 5 languages (dutch, french, english, german, russian), the 6th language (polish) will be added in a few months.

With a large environment and 5 languages supported, all html has to be generated 5 times... all together we are talking about thousands of files (most of which images). So... I do see a cause... but I don't understand why Webdev12 is so much slower than Webdev11. Of course I tried the performance in 11... seems ok, even today...

Other detail: we're working with SCM. That takes time, definitely.

I found out that Webdev12 compiles/ regenerates much more automatically than Webdev11. Reason for this might be that Webdev11 sometimes left the project with failures (blue buttons; general mismanagement of html). Extra regenerating/ compiling actions might have been added to overcome such problems, but (in fact) that is not solving the cause of the problem, but only preventing the results from happening...

Resuming: I do experience a (huge) difference between 11 and 12.
I think pc-soft should 'offer' functionality to choose whether to recompile/ regenerate, rather than making that choice for me and having me waiting all that time. I'm really convinced that all this matter, even as all the failures we once had in Webdev7, have to do with the size of the environment and our multilingual approach. That multilingual however is at the same time an enormous advantage of Webdev!
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.