Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Table control on a window

Posted by DarrenF 
DarrenF
Table control on a window
February 26, 2009 03:03AM
Hi guys,

Could do with a bit of advice on loading a TABLE control on a window. I have a window with a TABLE control on it. The table contains product details and there are 20,000 products in total in the Product file.

When the window is intially displayed and the table control is loaded with data, I'm looking for some advice on how to load the data into the table control as efficiently as possible as the window will be running over a network and I don't want all 20,000 products to be loaded every time the window is opened.

There's precious little info. in the help system about this (or I'm not searching with the correct keywords?)

Are you guys loading with an additional filter for example?

I hope someone can help with some general advice on the techniques used in this area?

Cheers...
Piet van Zanten
Re: Table control on a window
February 26, 2009 10:30AM
Hi Darren,

There are 3 options on the content tab of a table control.
Obviously the last one, file with direct access, is supposed to generate the least network traffic, as I assume that only the displayed records are read from disk. Both other options load the whole file directly into memory.

Regards,
Piet
DarrenF
February 26, 2009 03:07PM
Hi Piet,

Thanks for replying.

That's the area I'm looking at - but I was assuming that the direct access was loading all 20,000 - is that not the case? Does it load just the rows that are displayed in the table control and then go over the network for each row it needs after that?

I don't think setting the Max Limit is what I want and certainly not the Load into memory.

Is there any information in the Help about the direct access option and how it loads a table control?

Cheers...
David Martin
February 26, 2009 03:12PM
In the help topic "The different types of tables : memory, file with or without direct access" it does say that is the only mode that "Re-read the records when scrolling"...
DarrenF
February 26, 2009 03:22PM
Hi David,

Thanks "Re-read when scrolling" sounds exactly what I need - just wanted to be certain that that's how it works...

I'll read the help as well... :spos:

Cheers...
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.