Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can WinDev XII run via Windows Remote Desktop

Posted by Brian 
Brian
Can WinDev XII run via Windows Remote Desktop
February 17, 2009 10:24PM
Hello,

I am a new WinDev user and am hoping someone can help me.

I am trying to connect and run my copy of WinDev XII via windows Remote Desktop. The donggle is inserted in the local PC back at the office and WinDev runs fine there.

But when I try and connect via Win Remote Desktop I get "Dongle not found" error.

Please any ideas or solution would be appreciated.

Cheers

Brian
Aad Gouka
Re: Can WinDev XII run via Windows Remote Desktop
February 18, 2009 09:48AM
Hi Brian,

I'm using WD12 and WB12 with RDP with succes. A have my dongle on the parallel port.

Regards,

Aad Gouka
Paulo Oliveira
February 18, 2009 11:03AM
With Windev/Webdev XI we don't have any problem (USB donlge).
We connect thru VPN to our office pcs and evething works.
I don't know if it helps but our office pcs are XP (some with SP2 and others with SP3).
Bosher
February 18, 2009 12:08PM
Try it with the command line
Example:
mstsc /v:192.168.1.5 /console

If you are using the newer version of rdp client, try this
mstsc /v:192.168.1.5 -admin

This should get you to the 'console session' and Windev will run ok

Cheers
Bosh
Brian
February 18, 2009 01:34PM
Thanks all. Good to know it should work.

The machine I am trying to conenct to is VISTA Ultimate. And the remote machine is VISTA home premium.

I will try again to try and get things going.

Cheers

Brian
Brian
February 18, 2009 04:17PM
Still not working.

Problem I am having is all our PC's are VISTA Ultimate.

And I have tried and tried but still will not reconize the WinDev HASP Dongle.

It may be a problem with Aladdin HASP key and VISTA Remote Desktop, not sure.

Cheers

Brian
Jimbo
February 18, 2009 11:44PM
Brian
Still not working.

Problem I am having is all our PC's are VISTA Ultimate.

And I have tried and tried but still will not reconize the WinDev HASP Dongle.

It may be a problem with Aladdin HASP key and VISTA Remote Desktop, not sure.

Cheers

Brian

Hi Brian, what's the exact problem? Can you log in to the desktop of the server/remote computer? Can you start WinDev? Does it say, the dongle is not recognised? Is WinDev on that computer already in use by soemone else? So, do you actually try to use WinDev by two different users? Regards, Guenter
Toddy Utomo
February 19, 2009 01:11AM
Hi all

It is possible to run windev in windows Remote Desktop more than 1 user?

Regards
Toddy

KenKnight
February 19, 2009 02:32AM
Hi Toddy,

I have tested this and my answer turned out to be no. I was trying to demo the product to another user and found that the IDE aparently places some type of lock on the dongle.

Cheers!
Ken
Jimbo
February 19, 2009 01:09PM
Hi Toddy - the SAME user can start WinDev several times on the same computer and can minimize the currently unused projects by putting them to taskbar. WinDev will detect the dongle on that computer. Imho it is irrelevant, whether the user uses the computer by remote desktop or locally. Btw, I believe remote desktop (in contrast to VNC) can be opened only once on one computer. But remember - it is *the same desktop* that the user who is sitting in front of the screen sees. So, it is impossible to work on two different projects at the same time, but you could cooperate with another one and e.g. show him/her the usage of WinDev. Kind regards, Guenter
Brian
February 19, 2009 01:40PM
Hi

The exact problem is I cannot start WinDev when connecting to my office PC via Windows Remote Desktop. It says dongle not found.

No one is running WinDev on the PC I want to connect to using Remote Desktop.

Yes the dongle is plugged in (UScool smiley and WinDev locally works fine.

I can connect to the office PC just fine and run other apps its just WinDev and the HASP dongle that is not being found.

I have tried connecting with all resources and no local resources being brought to the remote machine.

Cheers

Brian

Jimbo
February 19, 2009 02:31PM
Hi, we regularily start WinDev from remote desktop & it works fine. Did you try VNC (port 5900) [www.teamviewer.com] ? Should work too. Kind regards, Guenter
Brian
February 19, 2009 02:49PM
Yes as a test I tried Team Viewer and it works. But Remote Desktop is how I normally connect when on the road. All my other apps work fine abit no dongles.

It might have something to do with VISTA Ultimate but not sure. The HASP key may have a problem.

Brian
KenKnight
February 20, 2009 01:07AM
Hey guys,

Have any of you seen the frick'n price of teamviewer. I just about fell out of my chair. They are charging 1399 for one support person and $829 for each additional support person. We have about 8 people 10-12 people that would have to have a channel, so that is a bit pricey. We'll stick with vnc. Not only that it would take about 2 -3 years to equal what you pay for gotomeeting.

Cheers!
Ken
Jimbo
February 20, 2009 12:34PM
Hey Ken, cool down. We're all using the FREE edition of Teamviewer. This is only for personal usage, so register as a person not as a company ;-) If you're using it on a regular basis, there are some ways:

either freewares

[www.tightvnc.com]
[www.uvnc.com]
[www.visionapp.com]
[www.freewarereview.info]

reading their web sites, it seems to me that VNC originally was / is an open source product and all the above mentioned products are derived from it. visionapp RDP 2008 (freeware), the supported versions are from 63,- Euros

[lifehacker.com]
[www.heise.de]

there are numerous low-priced alternatives to Windows Remote Destop!

Kind regards,
Guenter

Brian
February 20, 2009 01:56PM
Guenter,

I am just curious why remote desktop does not work from a VISTA home premium to VISTA Ultimate(host) when team viewer does.

Why can't it fine the dongle. I sent in a support request to PCSoft to see if its even possible, but no reply.

People say it works with Windows XP so why not VISTA Ultimate.

Could it be the version of the Aladdin HASP dongle? Not compatiable with VISTA?

Cheers

Brian

Jimbo
February 20, 2009 02:20PM
Hi Brian, I suspect that it could have to do with Microsoft's built-in DRM features. A dongle is a protection device and maybe, Microsoft protects the Aladdin / Hasp dongle against multiple / remote usage. Currently, there is an uproar against the DRM-features in Windows 7 and Microsoft answered that it did not change anything compared to Vista. However, the Win7 beta is an Ultimate version! Kind regards, Guenter
PCSOFT Hotline.pcs.crosspost
[PC SOFT] Re: Can WinDev XII run via Windows Remote Desktop
February 20, 2009 05:32PM
Hi Brian,

This message is to inform you that the Technical Support did answer your email, 3 times ! We always answer emails. Actually our emails are rejected as spam:

<< The message from (<freetechnicalsupport@windev.com>) with the subject of (Re : Can WinDev be run via Windows Remote Desktop.) matches a profile the Internet community may consider spam. >>

The Remote Desktop cannot be used to launch WinDev unless you have a network dongle (WinDev Multiple Licenses). VNC can be used with no problem.

--
Patrick PHILIPOT
Free Technical Support

Message forwarded from pcsoft.us.windev
Brian
February 20, 2009 05:58PM
Sorry about that.

I am not running more than one copy of WinDev so why the need for a multiple network dongle.

Also how come I can use Team Viewer?

Thanks for replying to my post.

Brian
Dimitris.gr
February 20, 2009 08:42PM
Where do you plug the Hasp ?

I think you must plug it on host computer and not on remote.

If you already tried this then ... ignore my message ;-)
Aad Gouka
February 24, 2009 05:35PM
Hi Brian,

I had a similar problem with XP Pro a while ago. Windev operated normally on the host
computer but not with RDP. Resetting the host PC didn't work either. I decided the bring the hostcomputer down and after a fresh restart everything worked fine again. Maybe it is too simple, but you never know.

Regards,

Aad

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.