Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

wdtrad

Posted by Arie 
Arie
wdtrad
February 10, 2009 02:39PM
Hi, I started my project in Dutch and now one of my customers needs the English language. No problem, WD can do that. Extract all string/captions, translate them and re-insert.

But I'm not that happy with WDTRAD for the translation part. I don't find it very user friendly. Works rather slow.

So I was wondering: basicly is uses 2 txt-files. Maybe there is someone out there, who made his/her own WDTRAD?

Arie
KenKnight
Re: wdtrad
February 12, 2009 05:22AM
Hi Arie,

Create a class that gets instantiated in each window and use indirections to enumerate the elements that have a caption (or whatever you're looking for) and grab the proper caption from a database that contains mappings between dev-time captions and runtime captions.

If you wanna get crazy you could develop a component that allows you to manage translations and then just drop the component into any project you want to use it.

Cheers!
Ken

Arie
February 12, 2009 08:56PM
Ken,
that would be a great solution. I once did it this way in Delphi...
If I had enough free moments (which I haven't) I will make such a component.

Then I will make some hover-mechanisme too. After putting my apps in translation-mode, one can hover any control, use right-click and do the translation from there.

The same mechanisme would be nice for extending Groupware. Assign the proper users/rights to any control with a right-click. Instead of using the list/table solution from pcsoft.

Arie
Fabrice Harari
February 12, 2009 11:30PM
Hi Arie...

the only problem with this type of mechanism is that it doesn't take into account all the messages/variables contents, just the fields, so you would have one mechanism for them and another one for all messages/info/yesno and so on...

If you have to develop something, you would better develop the module to manage the text files to reimport in windev, IMHO

Best regards

KenKnight
February 13, 2009 12:43AM
Hi Fabrice and all,

I think that if you choose this route, then the developer should also use the same mechanism to display messages etc. This way the program is 100% translatable for display to the end user.

The PropertyBoss product written in PowerBuilder is written in this manner. Every displayable control that has a caption is inherited from a parent control that does the translation from the database.

What this means is that not only are captions translatable between languages, they are also translatable between industries. Thus the word Lease for one company might mean Ownership for another. It works incredible well with very little performance hit.

Cheers!
Ken

PS I forgot to mention that we are working on Web Portals developed in WebDev 12 that do the exact same thing using the same SQL anywhere databases as the back end. This way if we have a customer that does like the use of the word "home" they can change it to "house".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2009 12:44AM by KenKnight.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.