Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

MDI Main/Child

Posted by Carlo Hermus 
Carlo Hermus
MDI Main/Child
January 04, 2009 03:49AM
Hi,

How can you make MDI windows with your own skin?

When I use any skin on the MDI windows main or client it will give a ugly window.
Jimbo
Re: MDI Main/Child
January 04, 2009 07:45AM
Cannot say anything except for the fact that I'm using the 'System' style which shows the actual Windows theme nicely on MDI parents & childs.

Is it the font? The MS Dialogue font is VERY ugly, right. You just have to change font info in all controls of the appropriate style and the standard.sty in \programs.

Kind regards,
Guenter
Carlo Hermus
January 04, 2009 12:58PM
Guenter,

What I mean is using for example windows mediaplayer skin on mdi main and child. The media player window image will apear in the client area of the mdi main window and not the complete window. Like you showed us in your previous post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2009 12:59PM by Carlo Hermus.
Jimbo
January 04, 2009 04:34PM
Hi Carlo, in fact, this IS the 'system' style ! This screenshot was from an XP-computer, using 'Style XP' from [www.tgtsoft.com] and it is one of their 'comb' styles.

Microsoft stopped people from making such fancy Windows style software with Vista. Security reasons as they say. In order to change styles in Vista, you have to have a digital signature and, as it seems, no one has taken that hurdle yet.

This is a screenshot of a program running under Vista. As you can see in window header, the theme comes through ..

Kind regards,
Guenter

<a href="[content.screencast.com] src="[content.screencast.com]; width="1021" height="651" border="0" /></a>
Carlo Hermus
January 04, 2009 07:11PM
Guenter,

I will stick with internal windows.

Thanks
Jimbo
January 04, 2009 07:29PM
Carlo, internal windows are a pain in the xxx. Rethink your strategy ! If there are less than ten, it's ok. I've tried to solve the numerous problems with internal windows .. maybe, it's better now? Guenter
Carlo Hermus
January 05, 2009 02:52AM
Guenter,

I use internal windows and have no problems. Can you please dictate the problems you have? Maybe I have not implement certain features/procedures that will give these problems.
Jimbo
January 05, 2009 11:22AM
Hi Carlo,
I had major problems with the sizes of internal Windows in order to get them into the proper frame. Maybe, it's better now.

I had to stack all of the windows on top of each other and opening the program have shown considerable delay because of initialization of all of the windows.

Anyway, if all of the problems are solved nowadays, limitations still are here (from WD-help):

- The names and the parameters of the functions called must be identical.

- If a control found in the internal window is directly used from outside, a control with the same name must be found in the new internal window.

- The values of the global variables for the former internal window are lost.

- The persistent values of the former internal window are saved and restored in the new one.

Kind regards,
Guenter
Carlo Hermus
January 05, 2009 01:09PM
Guenter,

Jimbo
Hi Carlo,
I had major problems with the sizes of internal Windows in order to get them into the proper frame. Maybe, it's better now.
Don't know, only been using it since v12.

I had to stack all of the windows on top of each other and opening the program have shown considerable delay because of initialization of all of the windows.
Don't know what you mean by this, but I have no problems with the application performance.

Anyway, if all of the problems are solved nowadays, limitations still are here (from WD-help):

- The names and the parameters of the functions called must be identical.
Mmmm I thought this was just the way it is.. Not as a limit.

- If a control found in the internal window is directly used from outside, a control with the same name must be found in the new internal window.
My controls have the same name, this doesn't bug me.

- The values of the global variables for the former internal window are lost.
- The persistent values of the former internal window are saved and restored in the new one.
I pass parameters and use classes.

Kind regards,
Guenter
[/quote]
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.