Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

2009 Wx Conference

Posted by tfischbeck 
tfischbeck
2009 Wx Conference
January 01, 2009 12:29AM
Hello everyone!

We are in the earliest planning stages for a 2009 Wx Conference. Tentatively, we would like to hold this conference in the Spring and would also like to format it in a similar fashion as the 2007 WinDevCon with instructor led sessions. However, we would like your input so that we might structure it in a way that will be most relevant to your needs.

Therefore, we have prepared an online survey and would appreciate your input. Please click on the following link to complete the survey.

[www.zapsurvey.com]

As in the past, the conference is open to ALL programmers from ALL countries. International participation is highly encouraged. The more the merrier!

We are looking forward to hearing from you. More information to come…

Tim Fischbeck
Windev-US

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2009 07:28PM by Jimbo.
DerekT
Re: 2009 Wx Conference
January 01, 2009 11:53AM
Hi

The message on the link reads

'This survey is currently closed. If you need assistance, please contact the person who sent you the survey invitation or URL.'

Having a new year holiday no doubt

Regards
tfischbeck
January 01, 2009 05:08PM
Sorry for the inconvenience... Let's try this again. It is open now.

Regards,

Tim
M. Beaven
January 02, 2009 05:31PM
Hello all, and Happy New Years!

Tim and I worked on this survey as a way to best consolidate the opinions of potential attendees and also to keep from having a long and difficult-to-follow thread on the board. Provided that we are able to get enough input, we will summarize and hone in further on the conference configuration.

Notwithstanding, if anyone wishes to post a public opinion on the matter, that is certainly your perogative on the public forum that Guenter so generously works to maintain. :cheers:

Guenter- would it be asking too much for this to be made a "sticky" for a couple of weeks to ensure everyone gets a chance to offer input?

I appreciate everyone's willingness and time in offering their opinions.

Kind Regards,

-Marc Beaven
windev-us
M. Beaven
January 02, 2009 06:41PM
Thanks Guenter for the sticky :spos:
Jimbo
January 04, 2009 07:46AM
You're welcome! :-)
tfischbeck
January 06, 2009 04:48AM
Hello to all...

We have gotten a number of valuable responses to the 2009 Wx Conference Survey. If you haven't yet had an opportunity to complete the survey, I urge you to do so, as your responses will help to make this conference the best that it can be. We will keep the survey open for a few more days.

Thank you once again, and I look forward to hearing from each of you.

Tim Fischbeck
WinDev-US
Tomas Petersen
January 06, 2009 03:53PM
Hello everyone,

Please let us know once you close your survey your conclusions; from the number of views I suspect there may be quite a few responses & probably a greater number of potential atendees as at the previous WDCon. This way we can have a clearer picture of what to take home from this conference.
A much larger room may have to be organized with corresponding equipment, etc.

Topics inquired about are quite ambitious in quantity & depth; this time there may be relatively more people with "less experience" on WD as on prior occasions as more US programmers adopt WD (?) - will those needs be accounted for as well ?

Also, I presume that Fabrice would be a prime candidate for moderating this session; would you consider however to include other experts ? I strongly support to continue the idea of videotaping the whole course content for later viewing.

Kind regards,
Tomas

M. Beaven
January 06, 2009 04:32PM
Hi Tomas,

We certainly will be making the survey information and conclusions available on the forum as we hone in on the various issues. The survey was a means to streamline the process of information-gathering.

At this point the number of views is not indicative of survey participation, in fact responses as of yet have not reflected "critical mass" for the conference- though we will gather info for at least another week before beginning to hammer down details (so those of you who would like to have some input- even if you are unsure about availability since the date is not yet established- your survey data is important nonetheless).

Rest assured we will adequately accomodate attendees based on registration- at this point there are at least 3 persons who have voiced interest in moderating to some degree. What about you- Tomas- are you ready to do the V14 preview yet? [[1]]

Regards,

-Marc Beaven
WinDev-us
Paul Ziegler
January 06, 2009 08:19PM
Has the location for the conference been determined yet?

Thanks,
Paul
tfischbeck
January 06, 2009 11:08PM
Hi Paul,

No, the location has not yet been determined, but we are getting good feedback through the survey, and we should be able to make a decision after the survey closes. If you haven't yet had an opportunity to complete the survey, we would love to get your opinion.

Thanks, [[5]]

Tim Fischbeck
WinDev-US
Andres Sanchez
January 07, 2009 11:58PM
Hi Marc & Tim:

The place, approx date, week days, etc. They are fine in the survey.

But the contents of the conference should be an open issue, as thomas said we want to know what others are saying, what are the interests of others, maybe we are interested too, but didnt remember when filling the survey.

Perhaps Guenter could open a new temp Forum in order to discuss the contents of the conferences.

For instance, I just filled the survey and when I pressed enter it came to me some more ideas for conferences.

Example:
Supercontrols and components, how create them, how to share them with the dev team.
How to use the Dictionary, the Shared Directory.
How to Share Elements with other projects, for instance a DB Connect Window, how to handle it in order to be the same window in every project, if I make a change in the code or UI i want this changes being taking into account in all the other projects.

In other words, i like tips on being more productive with the environment.

Thanks

Andres Sanchez

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2009 12:00AM by Andres Sanchez.
tfischbeck
January 08, 2009 04:59AM
Good evening Andres,

We certainly invite all input; however, we respectfully ask that all input be gathered via the survey until we close the survey next week. At that time, we will synthesize all of the data and present it to the forum for full discussion. We feel that a synthesized list of topics presented at once to the entire forum would be the most efficient way to hone in on the final list. Of course at that time, unreported topics could be brought forward.

Thank you for your understanding…

Tim Fischbeck
WinDev-US Sales
tfischbeck
January 15, 2009 04:58PM
Hello all!

Many thanks to each one of you who have responded to the survey. We have gotten a number of valuable responses.

We will close the survey tomorrow afternoon at 4 pm central time, begin summarizing the results, and report to the forum as soon as possible. Then, we as a community can begin to hone in on the details.

Once again, thank you very much to those of you who have responded. If you have not had an opportunity to respond, please do so, as we would value your opinion.

Kindest Regards,

Tim Fischbeck [[5]]
WinDev-US
tfischbeck
February 06, 2009 06:25PM
Folks,

Thank you very much for your input on the survey. We received 25 survey responses and have used those responses to determine the logistics and a tentative list of topics.

Per the survey responses, the conference will be held in Amelia Island, FL, tentatively May 15 through 18 (Friday – Monday). We are negotiating with local hotels to secure a block of rooms for less than $100 per night. Please note that, as we will be encroaching on peak tourist season, we may have some difficulty securing rooms for less than $100; nevertheless, we are negotiating. In addition, the survey responders requested that lunch be provided on site.

In addition to the topics listed in the survey, we received a great deal of suggestions. We combined the suggestions with the survey topics and came up with the following tentative list.

Topics...

- WinDev
Building a basic application/beginning framework
Components
License Management in a LAN environment
OOP beginning to end
OLE Automation for Office Applications
Using APIs
Workshop (possibly two occurring at the same time)

- WebDev
Transitioning from WinDev to WebDev
PayPal Integration
Reusable Cart
Referencing your Website

- WinDevMobile
Introduction, Basic Problem, Development strategy

- WD+WB
Heterogeneous applications
Workshop (possibly two occurring at the same time)

The schedule is very tight. Our thoughts are that we would offer instructor lead topics and workshops. Most topics cover two hours.

At this time, we would like to open up the list of topics for discussion. If you forgot to mention something on the survey or if you see something else that sparks an idea, now is your chance to voice your opinion. We cannot promise that all topics of interest can be covered, as the intent is for the conference to be as universally beneficial as possible. Topics are not only a factor of survey input, but also of instructor interest and/or experience.

We will leave the door open to discuss the topics until 20 February. At that time, we would like to gather all responses and begin to make final arrangements such as conference fee, developing course materials, etc.

Again, we appreciate everyone's input and look forward to solidifying the conference details.

Thank you for your patience during the recent weather emergency...

Regards,

Tim Fischbeck
Windev-US Sales
Jeff Graham
February 06, 2009 07:05PM
Hi Tim,

Great list of topics. Have you set a cost for the conference itself? Will there be limited slots? Are the workshops after hours?

Jeff
tfischbeck
February 06, 2009 09:34PM
Jeff Graham
Hi Tim,

Great list of topics. Have you set a cost for the conference itself? Will there be limited slots? Are the workshops after hours?

Jeff

Hello Jeff,

We have not set the cost yet. We will set that cost after solidifying the conference details (sometime after 2/20). Regarding slots, we are looking to fill up four full days (32 hours).

Thanks,

Tim Fischbeck
[www.windev-us.net]
Bosher
February 24, 2009 08:21PM
Hey guys,

I'll be there!

Please confirm as soon as possible so that I can make arrangements

Cheers

Bob
tfischbeck
February 25, 2009 10:35PM
Folks,

Thank you for your patience. We are excited to announce some specific plans regarding the WinDevCon 2009

The conference is scheduled for Friday May 15 through Monday May 18 in Fernandina Beach (Amelia Island), FL. We have negotiated special rates with the Comfort Suites on 2801 Atlantic Ave. The rooms are $114 per night plus applicable taxes. In addition, the hotel offers a free continental breakfast. Just mention the WinDevCon 2009 to receive the special rate. Our meeting location will be at our facility across the street from the hotel. The address is 2700 Atlantic Ave.

We are planning to provide one-time transportation to and from the Jacksonville International Airport (JAX) for those of you who do not wish to rent a vehicle. Therefore, while making travel arrangements, I would like to propose that we work together to coordinate arrival and departure times.

The conference schedule is planned to be primarily instructor led. One of our fellow forum participants and international WinDev/WebDev/WinDevMobile (Wx) consultant, Fabrice Harari will be returning this year to lead most of the sessions. For those of you not familiar with Fabrice, you can read a “brief non-chronological description” of his life here... [www.fabriceharari.com]. In addition to Fabrice, another familiar forum participant and consultant, Ken Knight will be leading the “Transitioning from WinDev to WebDev” course. Following is a link to Ken’s website... [www.helpconsulting.net]

Following is the planned schedule. Please provide suggestions if you would like to see anything added or changed. This conference is for your benefit; therefore, please provide you input as soon as possible.
-----
Thursday:

Meet and greet in meeting room 7p to 9p
-----
Friday: WinDev General

Building a basic application/beginning framework – 4 hours
Components – 2 hours
License Management in a LAN environment – 2 hours
-----
Saturday: WinDev General

OOP beginning to end – 4 Hours
OLE Automation for Office Applications – 2 hours
Using APIs – 2 hours
-----
Sunday: WebDev General

Transitioning from WinDev to WebDev – 2 hours
PayPal Integration – 2 hours
Reusable Cart – 2 hours
Referencing your Website – 2 hours
-----
Monday: WX

WinDevMobile/Introduction, Basic Problem, Development strategy – 2 hours
WD+WB Heterogeneous applications - 2 hours
Workshops – 4 hours
-----

==> What we need from you…

No later than Friday March 20, contact me via email to let me know if you will be attending. We need a preliminary head count of those that will come As Soon As Possible to make the final decision as to whether the conference is viable and to give the trainers ample time to develop his training plans. Even if you have previously told me that you will attend, please send me another email now to confirm, as spaces are limited and the seats/rooms will be filled on a first-come-first-serve basis.

Important dates…
- No later than 20 March – RSVP if you will be attending
- 31 March – This is the deadline for making/canceling hotel reservations.

The conference fee is $570 for the entire conference. We will provide lunch each day.

Please provide your input. We need your help to make this a successful conference.

Kindest regards,

Tim Fischbeck
WinDev US Sales
270-822-4218
tim.fischbeck@eidetik.com
KenKnight
February 26, 2009 03:05AM
Also to add to Tim's comments, if anyone is interested we can take an hour or two one evening and I'll try to give some tips / hints on designing graphical elements with a couple of inexpensive programs from Serif.

By no means do I consider myself to be a graphics designer and give the majority my ability to create graphics to these programs. They make it easy... in much the same way that WinDev does with app development

If anyone is interested, give me a bit of heads up and I'll take my projection unit.

Cheers!
Ken

Gus
February 26, 2009 05:41AM
Hi Tim:

Is Reusability (how to create RADs / templates / components / etc ) included in some of the above courses? I think it's one of the most useful features which allow programmers develop apps very easy and fast.

Hi Ken:

I think your proposal is really interesting...Thanks!

Regards;
Gus
Fabrice Harari
February 26, 2009 11:44AM
Hi Gus...

there is a complete course on the components, but nothing on template/RAD, as there was no real interest expressed in the survey about those subjects

Best regards

Fabrice Harari
February 26, 2009 11:51AM
Hi Ken...

Graphics has always been a problem for me, so if you have a magic bullet, I'll be VERY interested in learning it :-)

Best regards

David Martin
February 26, 2009 12:14PM
Fabrice Harari
there is a complete course on the components, but nothing on template/RAD, as there was no real interest expressed in the survey about those subjects

I would have assumed that Templates/RAD would have been covered in "Building a basic application/beginning framework"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2009 12:15PM by David Martin.
Fabrice Harari
February 26, 2009 01:04PM
Hi David...

if RAD was included here, it would be only "press the rad button" as CREATING a RAD is certainly not part of a basic framework... On the same reasoning, USING templates could be included, but creating one would not....

The course you are referring to will be more on how to create your basic project with all the classes and basic functionalities you need, and in this particular case, it will be without using the RAD, in order to teach how to code without it and as fast if not faster than with it...

Best regards
David Martin
February 26, 2009 01:29PM
Hello Fabrice,

Yeah, I guess I will have to agree with you that doing an application framework and creating RAD and templates are two different items. Both equally important, in my eyes, to making an application that will be easily maintainable.

Creating an application framework is a topic I am very interested in and something I have been working on.

But, I keep looking at the RAD and templates and just keep thinking that I would love to be able to make a framework for the application and then have some RAD, or templates, that once I define a table I could point it at and have it make up the necessary maintenance screens, and some basic reports, for me.
Gus
February 26, 2009 11:01PM
Hi Fabrice:
In my case, the only interesting thing about RAD/Templates is just to create applications faster...But if you teach another methodology wich allow us to create apps "as fast if not faster than with RAD/templates", I think it would be really interesting...

Regards;
Gus
tfischbeck
March 03, 2009 04:13PM
Great news!

Claudia from PCSoft confirmed this morning that she would be attending the 2009 WinDevCon to present "What's new in v14."

Best regards,

Tim Fischbeck
WinDev-US Sales
tfischbeck
March 03, 2009 05:03PM
To all…

We are now accepting payment for the 2009 WinDevCon. Please choose one of the three following methods to pay…

-----

1. Via our shopping cart at [www.windev-us.net]

> Navigate to the “Price List & Order” page.
> From the pull-down, choose “2009 WinDevCon.” You will see an item named “Conference Fee.”
> Add one to your basket and check out.
> You will notice that the price listed for the Conference Fee is $520; the shopping cart will add the remaining $50 upon checkout to bring the total up to the $570 fee.

Please note that only one Conference Fee at a time may be processed.

-----

2. Call me at 270-822-4218 and I will take your credit card information over the phone

-----

3. Send a check for $570 to the following address…

Eidetik, Inc.
Attn: 2009 WinDevCon
P.O. Box 128
Uniontown, KY 42461

-----

In the unlikely event that the conference must be canceled, fees paid by credit card will be refunded minus applicable credit card fees of $17.00. Fees paid by check would be refunded in full.

>> In the event that you wish to cancel, the deadline for canceling is 10 April. The same refund policy applies.

Slots are limited and on a first-come-first-serve basis, please register soon!

Best Regards...

Tim Fischbeck
WinDev-US Sales
Tomas Petersen
March 04, 2009 02:32AM
Hi Tim !

Great to have Claudia from PCS come in to do the promo pitch !

May I suggest that she ties the presentation of what's new on WX14 with some of the hot topics presented during TDF2009 Tour ?

Cheers,
Tomas
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.