Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Error/delay in loading WinDev 12

Posted by Chris L 
Chris L
Error/delay in loading WinDev 12
December 14, 2008 01:55PM
When I start WinDev 12, I quite often get the following screen:

I've learnt now that if I click on 'Retry' enough times, the 'Server Busy' (what server?!) screen usually goes away and the process of initialising WinDev continues and all is OK. (I've just started up WinDev now and it took 9 clicks on the 'Retry' button before it continued loading!)

I can find no consistent pattern to this behaviour. It doesn't always occur - sometimes WinDev starts up fine without a hitch - but it happens often enough to be an annoyance, maybe 50% of startups.

It also happens if I reboot Windows (Vista) and start up WinDev afresh, as the first application loaded (apart from the usual Windows junk that gets loaded on startup).

I'm the only user on the machine and I don't use groupware or SCM.

I never saw this on any previous version of WD.

Any clues? Is it something simple that I've missed? Something I should have ticked or unticked?

Any help much appreciated.

Chris L
Melbourne, Oz
Jimbo
Re: Error/delay in loading WinDev 12
December 14, 2008 02:15PM
Hi Chris, I had the same problem with my laptop. Seems that one of the programs I installed on it had some undetectable interaction with WinDev. Maybe Open Office? I re-installed the whole thing (without the suspicious programs) and ho and below, the problem was gone.

See: [forum.mysnip.de]

Kind regards,
Guenter
Chris L
December 14, 2008 02:54PM
Guenter

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this message! (Although it sounds like you've got rid of your message.)

I'm also running WinDev on a notebook/laptop (a powerful Dell with an external screen and keyboard except when travelling).

I actually did a complete re-installation of Windows (Vista 32-bit) a couple of months ago but even though I installed WinDev fairly early on, the message still appears.

I'm not running OpenOffice but like most people I have a fair amount of other stuff (particularly to do with photograph cataloguing and processing) so I guess there could well be interaction with something.

I've looked back over the forum entry you quoted but beyond a reference to Google services, I can't see much help there.

I'm wondering whether any other people are getting this message, or have had this message in the past. If not, it suggests something specific to my machine. I was thinking maybe the Dell because they do have odd issues sometimes but I know someone else with exactly the same type and brand of laptop who does not have this startup issue. Which brings us back to software.

It'd really help if one knew just which 'other program is busy'! And what server is it referring to? I've tried checking which processes are running when this message comes up but to no avail.

Maybe the only solution is to do as you have done: load one program at a time to find out where the issue arises. On the other hand, if no-one has a solution, I think I'll just put up with pressing 'Retry' for as long as it takes!

Chris

PS Since we're on opposite sides of the world (presuming you're working from home at the moment), it's now just coming up to 1am Sunday night (or more accurately Monday morning) here so I guess you're working in the early afternoon. A much more sensible time!
Jimbo
December 14, 2008 05:17PM
Hi Chris,

this problem has shown up on my new Fujitsu-Siemens laptop with Vista*32 only. We're using a couple of other computers (XP, Vista*64 and Vista*32) and none of them has ever shown that nasty problem. Initially I thought it was a virus / trojan but after a dozen scans with different virus-scanners nothing's been reported. At first, I started to de-install all additional software I had installed on that laptop but the problem persisted. Next, I formatted the hard disk and re-installed from my recovery disk set. So, I still don't know what is was, it's gone, that's all I can report.

I tried to find the process too but the computer is more or less locked while it happens.

Yes, this is Sunday evening 17:10 here and I'm still busy, not in the office but at the home of my mother-in-law. She's 86 and has to be nursed in every respect. We have some help from a home-nursing company who send a woman or a man three times a day for 2 hours each. However, we have to cover the remaining time, but thank God not the nights.

Kind regards,
Guenter

KenKnight
December 14, 2008 06:42PM
Hi all,

Yes it is definitely related to OpenOffice and I believe to take it a step further it is related to the Spell Check feature in OpenOffice.

I'll try and do some more digging to see if I can track it down.

Cheers!
Ken
Arie
December 14, 2008 08:12PM
I'v e seen this before when accidently using "Spell check" (mouse click right...) in edit fields.
In my case I use MS-Word. The spell check dialog does not appear on the windows task-bar, but sometimes it hidden by other windows. However, it is reachable via ALT-TAB. After closing this spell-dialog your busy-message will disappear.
This message was in dutch in my case, so it's probably a Windows or MS-Office message (which are dutch in my case)

Arie
Chris L
December 14, 2008 11:42PM
Ken, Arie, Guenter

I've never had OpenOffice on my machine, never downloaded or installed any part of it, but perhaps there's a component of this, something common to other Office suites, that is causing the problem. I do have the MS Office suite plus WordPerfect.

However, I get this message even if WD12 is the first thing I run after rebooting, ie before I've run Word, Excel or WordPerfect for the first time. So there must be something running in the background which loads on startup. Maybe it's one of those programs which loads a component in the background "just in case". These really annoy me. Adobe does it with something, Nero used to before I got rid of it, and just looking through the task manager, I notice that realsched.exe, something to do with Real Player, is running, even though I have just done a complete reboot! (And even though I turned off all the automatic notifications and updates when I installed Real Player!)

Arie, the fact that your message is/was in Dutch suggests that it is a Windows message not a WinDev message as you suggest. However, it's something that WinDev is trying to access or connect with for some reason. (Still don't know which 'server' is 'busy'!)

A couple of common threads appear to be emerging. Firstly, it appears confined to Vista 32-bit. (Arie, are you using Vista?) Secondly, although I haven't seen the connection on my machine, something used by the spelling checker, something common to both OpenOffice and MS Office, appears to be interracting with the WinDev startup. I notice that WinDev 12 has the ability to use the spelling checker of OpenOffice which would explain that connection.

Thanks for the responses. I'll keep looking!

Chris
Stefan Bentvelsen
December 15, 2008 09:41AM
Hi Chris,

I sometimes get this message too, not often, but never at start-up of WinDev (12). When it appears, it is when I'm working with WinDev a while. I believe I get a Dutch version too because I/m using a Dutch version of Windows XP (!). If I click the button 'Switch to ...' the Windows Start-menu appears wich I can click away with one click aside the menu.
I do have Open Office on my computer, but never used it when I got this 'Error' on screen. I also have MSOffice2003 installed which I can have used sometimes at that moment.

This is what I can report.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.