Advanced

Rename a project in WD12

Posted by Michael Drechsel 
Michael Drechsel
Rename a project in WD12
December 11, 2008 08:53PM
Hi,

how can I rename a project ?

When I start I often don´t know the final project- and -exe name. Some things a related to the project name, like error messages "An Error occured in blabla program ..." and the automatic updates use also this name. So I must rename it.

Jimbo
Re: Rename a project in WD12
December 12, 2008 06:57AM
Hi Michael,

renaming a project is still not directly supported by Wx-products. That's sad. There's been a thread about it and Ben offered a - maybe - viable solution:
[forum.mysnip.de]

However, I do not trust a lot in such a procedure though it may work flawlessly, so I'm still doing it the old & hard way, which is roughly like that (no SCM, no groupware):

1 - Make a new project with the new name. Add a single file description to the analysis, name the file TEST with automatic ID and add just one text item of 50 bytes length to it. End the analysis input and let it generate the analysis. Have the analysis window open and scale the view of it down to 10%

2 - Open another instance of WinDev and open the original project. Open the analysis, scale down the view to 10%. Lasso-select all of the files, relations etc. Right-click and choose 'Copy'. Switch to the new project and, right-click the analysis-window and choose 'Paste'. The whole analysis is now imported into the new one.

Delete the file TEST.

Generate the analysis.

Switch both analysis-scalings back to 75%. You have to optically re-arrange all files and file-links in the analysis window. This is a pain and should be eliminated somehow by PC Soft. (Hey, did you hear me?) A few of my projects contain 100+ files and dozens of links. Hint: Look at the old project where the file is to put. In the new project click on the file name in the analysis pane in order to find the file in the heap and move the file to its (approximately) original position.

WARNING: Do not use the file-import feature of WinDev analysis menu, because it will put the names of the file-items into the file-item's description! As I see it, this is an age old error, maybe there's a reason, but I don't see any. It completely destroys the work already done.

WARNING: There's no way in WinDev to manually switch a project to MDI. All WinDev projects are SDI by standard from the start. There's only one way to switch a project to MDI: Let a full-application-RAD 11 generate an MDI-application! Delete all generated windows from the project after that. Now's the project an MDI and RAD 11 will generate single windows as MDI-childs.

3 - Go to the old project, open Project .. project code and select whole of the code there. Take care of the parts in 'Close of project ..' and 'Log-out of project ..' Ctrl-C to copy. Go to the new project and insert the project code.

4 - Go to the old project and select all of the Global procedures. Ctrl-C to copy. Go to the new project, select Global procedures and insert them into the pane by Ctrl-V

5 - choose File .. import .. WinDev elements and dependencies and import all windows of the old project. Local procedures are imported with their windows.

Now it should be done. You've got the old project under a new name.

Kind regards,
Guenter
Michael Drechsel
December 12, 2008 07:39AM
Hi Guenther,

boah ... thank you.

Piet van Zanten
December 12, 2008 09:12AM
Hi Michael,

On several occasions I renamed a project by renaming all files on disk. I also renamed all analysis files this way. (It helps if you set analysis version to 1 first) After that you will have to change all references to the old name in the project description. This never gave me any trouble.

Regards,Piet
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.