Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Exchange Rate and RSS feeds...

Posted by DarrenF 
DarrenF
Exchange Rate and RSS feeds...
November 13, 2008 02:30PM
Hi all,

Has anyone had a "play" with XML/RSS feeds?

I've found a site that can provide exchange rates - [www.currencysource.com]

I've already created a test window and dropped a html control onto it and if I enter the above url into the control, as if by magic, the XML I need is displayed inside the html control - step 1 completed (...I thought).

...but my question is; Is it possible to take the contents of the html control (not the actual www URL but the actual XML referenced by the URL), and dumpit into a file or maybe process the XML directly from the HTML control perhaps? Or maybe there's another way?

All I need to do is locate the currency codes for each country anf then set the exchange rate in my country file with the exchange rate...

Any ideas...

Cheers...
Fabrice Harari.pcs.crosspost
Re: Exchange Rate and RSS feeds...
November 13, 2008 03:18PM
Hi Darren...

yes, it's quite easy in fact... use httprequest with the url in question
and httpgerresult will set the xml information inside a string variable...

After that, it's just a question of either using the xml functions on
the string in question, or even to use position, right, left, middle,
extractstring to get what you need

Best regards

--
Fabrice Harari
International WinDev, WebDev and WinDev mobile Consulting

More information on [www.fabriceharari.com]

DarrenF wrote:
> Hi all,
> Has anyone had a "play" with XML/RSS feeds?
> I've found a site that can provide exchange rates - [www.currencysource.com]
> I've already created a test window and dropped a html control onto it and if I enter the above url into the control, as if by magic, the XML I need is displayed inside the html control - step 1 completed (...I thought).
> ...but my question is; Is it possible to take the contents of the html control (not the actual www URL but the actual XML referenced by the URL), and dumpit into a file or maybe process the XML directly from the HTML control perhaps? Or maybe there's another way?
> All I need to do is locate the currency codes for each country anf then set the exchange rate in my country file with the exchange rate...
> Any ideas...
> Cheers...
>
Message forwarded from pcsoft.us.windev
DarrenF
Re: Re: Exchange Rate and RSS feeds...
November 13, 2008 03:46PM
Hi Fabrice,

Thanks for your reply...

That fills in the gap in my knowledge... :spos:

Then I could XMLFind and XMLNext in a loop along with (as you say) the Left, Middle and Right string functions smiling smiley

I'll try it asap...

Cheers...
Hans60
March 05, 2009 01:46PM
Hi Darren,
on the serach in this Forum on XML/RSS News feed I found this thread. What do you mean by "dropped a html control onto it" what control is that)? I searched the help and could not find it?

Thanks
Hans
DarrenF
March 05, 2009 11:23PM
Hi,

When in the Window Editor, it's the icon to the right of the Barcode control icon.
Hans60
March 06, 2009 09:04AM
Ok I see, that is only on WinDev and not on WindevMobile. I started to work with the mobile version. Would actually make sense to have it there too.
Thanks for info
regards
Hans
DarrenF
March 06, 2009 02:56PM
Yes, you're right - especially as most PDA/mobile devices have internet browsing as a feature these days and have done for quite a few years now!
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.