Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Managing Large WinDev Projects?

Posted by JB 
JB
Managing Large WinDev Projects?
October 20, 2008 09:56AM
Hi All

I have been developing and enhancing an inhouse project for nearly a year now and I am concerned that it project is getting a little large.

I would really appreciate some advice on how to better manage large projects in WinDev.

Do you break your project up into components and libraries?

What is the best approach?

Thanks

Jonathan
Fabrice Harari.pcs.crosspost
Re: Managing Large WinDev Projects?
October 20, 2008 01:35PM
Hi Jonathan...

First, what do you call 'little large'... My biggest project contained
more than 600 000 lines of code, and it was in windev 5.5...

At the time, the 'search in the whole project' function was crashing
windev, but except for that (and compilation duration), I didn't have
any problem linked to the size of the project...

Most of the code was organized in classes, making it easy to find, and
meaningful AND standardized objects naming allowed us to navigate fairly
easily in it...

Hope this help

--
Fabrice Harari
International WinDev, WebDev and WinDev mobile Consulting

More information on [www.fabriceharari.com]

Jonathan Buckland wrote:
> Hi All
> I have been developing and enhancing an inhouse project for nearly a year now and I am concerned that it project is getting a little large.
> I would really appreciate some advice on how to better manage large projects in WinDev.
> Do you break your project up into components and libraries?
> What is the best approach?
> Thanks
> Jonathan
>
Message forwarded from pcsoft.us.windev
Geert Debruyne
Re: Managing Large WinDev Projects?
October 20, 2008 02:22PM
Hello,

we have been managing large projects for a couple of years now. With large i mean: several database-connections, a couple of 100 file tables, around 750 windows...

From version 10 we started to use SCM because you can then work offline an synchronise in the scm-database... and compilation is done locally and not always for the entire project. We also moved to SCM because mostly more than one developer works on a project.
The only drawback for moving to SCM is the management of components, i hope this is far more better in V12 (we are ttrying to move all of our customers to V12 by the end of the year).

I think with large project it is extremely important to have a developer protocol, standards and so... if everything is made up following the developer protocol, maintenance should not be so difficult too.

I also managed a mixed project: winxdev, webdev, windev mobile and AS/400-legacy programs... works fine (if it is really well organised...)
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.