Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Simple WebDev Link Question

Posted by Peter Raines 
Peter Raines
Simple WebDev Link Question
October 15, 2008 09:46AM
In any normal WYSIWYG HTML editor, one can create a section of text, and then highlight a portion of that text, and turn only that portion into an HTML link. In WebDev, I can't see any simply and sensible way to do this! I end up either

a) Inserting a section of static text, then inserting a link, and then inserting another section of static text, or
b) Using an HTML control to code the text and links in HTML

The problem is that 'a' is very cumbersome, and also depending on the browser, large gaps can appear between the text and the link, and 'b' defeats the whole purpose of using a WYSIWYG editor!

What am I overlooking?

Thanks,
Peter
Glenn Rathke
Re: Simple WebDev Link Question
October 15, 2008 02:04PM
Hi Peter,

Once you create the html with the link in the text, can you paste it into the html control or access it by using the properties of the control.

HTH
Glenn
Peter Raines
October 15, 2008 10:43PM
Hi Glen,

Thanks for your reply, however I think you might have missed my point. If I wanted to create the HTML code either by hand or in another WYSIWYG web editor, I wouldn't be bothering with WebDev in the first place. WebDev is supposed to make life easier, not more complicated. If I can't do something as simple as highlighting text to make a link (within the WebDev environment), frankly I'm much better off sticking with DreamWeaver and coding PHP.

-Peter
KenKnight
October 15, 2008 11:08PM
Hi Peter,

The big question is; Where are you wanting to add a hyperlink, is there a particular control? After reading your post... I too am also "missing the point".

If it is during design time, you can use the built-in html editor of the htmstc control to key in text, highlight only a portion and then click the underlined "txt" button on the toolbar to provide an action.

If it is during runtime, you can use the same type of control, and do a replace on everything that starts with

http:// to be <a href=""> etc. to create hyperlinked text.

You could even create a function that says whenever you see [www.windevtutorials.com]|windevtutorials.com it will create a hyperlink that says windevtutorials.com but is linked to [www.windevtutorials.com]

HTH,

Cheers!
Ken

Peter Raines
October 16, 2008 07:59AM
Hi Ken,

The Txt option in the HTML Static Control was what I was after, thanks. Don't ask me how I never noticed it before - duh!! The only problem is that when using the Preset WebDev Action to select a page, it seems to only work with one link per html static control! If I try to create more links and assign a Preset WebDev Action, the links are created, but simply fail to do anything except refresh the page at runtime. Hopeless! Not to worry, at least manually typing in the links seems to work reasonably ok (about half the time the links can't be edited, and I need to close the HTML Static Control Description page, and re-open it.. talk about buggy!)

Thanks again.

-Peter
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.