Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Point of Sale system

Posted by ICI 
ICI
Point of Sale system
September 16, 2008 09:22AM
Regards !

Is there any sample project for Point Of Sale System.

1. I mean. How Windev manage dot-matrix printers. Do WinDev printing in graphic mode
or there is another way (POS Invoice, reports, and so on)

2. How WinDev manage bar code readers.

3. If someone can post one function/solve to print on dot-matrix printer.

Thank you !
cardcoder
Re: Point of Sale system
September 16, 2008 10:54AM
Hi,

We have rewritten our Point of Sale (EPOS) solution to use MySQL with Windev. It has not been easy and has over 100 modules and has taken nearly 2 years and we are still working on additional module.

1. Windev does not manage the dot matrix (or thermal) receipt printers. You have to write the escape code string and fire it to the com ports. You can use the windows printer driver (if there is one) but I don't recommend it because you may have another printer and you do not want any issues regarding printing. This equipment needs to be working properly and "bullit-proof" 7 days a week.

2. Barcode reader are usually USB or RS232. If USB then they automatically scan and put the info into the text box with focus. This needs coding to make sure the correct text box has focus. If RS232 then you need to open the comport to receive the data string when the barcode is scanned. The best idea is then to close the comport so that you do not get spurious numbers appearing in text boxes.

3. Not so easy to post an answer because you haven't said what printer you are using or what the comms method is.

Mike
DarrenF
September 16, 2008 12:20PM
Hi,

It's good to know that ePos is possible and that people are out there implementing it :rp: - however, I'm concerned about the statement:

It has not been easy and has over 100 modules and has taken nearly 2 years and we are still working on additional module.

...as I need to develop an ePos system to marry up with the Back Office system I'm currently developing.

However, I'd just like to add a bit to point (2) - I've found that PS/2 barcode readers can also be very effective and relatively cheap to purchase. As Mike says, it just a matter of making sure the input field has focus. Once you have focus on the entry field, for PS/2 barcode readers, the entry field input is just as though the bar code value (product code, customer a/c number etc...) has been entered using the keyboard - simple :spos:

Cheers...
Nouman
September 16, 2008 01:43PM
Guys I've wrote P.O.S in Windev and it worx perfect. I'm using Generic Printer and it's working great. Now at the moment my P.O.S is being used by some companies here. If you want i can give you the link to download the trial version.
drop me a line.
Cheers.
cardcoder
September 16, 2008 03:12PM
Hi All,

The point I was trying to make is that a comprehensive all inclusive EPOS system cannot just be thrown together and made to work. We have migrated our solution from Cobol to Windev with very good results.

Our offering includes modules made within windev, complete with credit card terminal interface, linked to Hand Held terminals, linked to shopping carts, linked to CCTV with transaction superimposed on the watermarked footage.

As you can see, a full solution for all levels of retailing and catering establishments.

Nouman is correct when he says that a generic printer can be used. We only use the Epson TMT88 Thernal printer at the Till end but can and do use any printer that the client prefers within the Management modules. As I illuded to previously - our product needs to be "bullit-proof" because I do not want to be organising service calls on a sunday afternoon.

As always, a very good exchange of ideas and comments.

Mike

Joel.pcs.crosspost
September 16, 2008 05:30PM
Hey there - I'd love the link to your POS system - I'll be needing one shortly to integrate into an app I'm coding in WebDev12.

Thanks!

Message forwarded from pcsoft.us.windev
cardcoder
September 16, 2008 07:13PM
Hi Joel,

Have a look at our web site - details below. It will give you an idea of what we do and also has some screen shots and a manual regarding our epos offerings as well as web shopping cart links.

We can offer a full turnkey solution or bits as required.

Mike
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.