Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Adding items to files in analysis (WD12)

Posted by Stefan Bentvelsen 
Stefan Bentvelsen
Adding items to files in analysis (WD12)
September 11, 2008 03:21PM
Hi,

sometimes when I add an item to a file definition in the analysis, I get the following error:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

An item with the same name already exists in the file (main name or multilingual name in the 'Reports and Queries' tab).
Choose another item name.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The only thing I can do is click on OK button. The item is not added to the file. I'm sure, the item does not exist in the particular file. So why do I get this error? Is there a work around for this 'bug' ? I already have tried closing en restarting WinDev12, but that does not help anything.
Stefan Bentvelsen
Re: Adding items to files in analysis (WD12)
September 11, 2008 03:56PM
The problem is solved.

The cursor was on the last line (empty, but with type=text and size=50) and seems to check this empty in the file. If I fill in the empty line a dummy name like 'uyerueere' then there is no error anymore. After moving the added real item I delete the dummy and it's all working.

Jimbo
September 11, 2008 05:08PM

Hi Stefan, nonetheless - this is a nasty bug! No one knows why the previous versions of the analysis-editor worked fine without that 'extra'. It should be enough that the field-name is empty .. this is a good example of detructive maintenance. You know, there are three types of maintenance: preventive, emergency and destructive. Programmers often tend to fix 10 bugs and to insert two new ones .. sorry for the self-critisism. Kind regards, Guenter
DarrenF
September 11, 2008 05:34PM
Hi,

Has anyone reported this to PC Soft?
Jimbo
September 11, 2008 06:02PM

Hi Darren, no I did not report it, I thought this is a so pretty obvious one to make our French collegues whine nine months ago. Our French collegues are are our 'testing staff' as you know. But version 55n went out without a fix - OK, someone should tell them! I think that a new version of v12 will come out soon, maybe it's already fixed there. Kind regards, Guenter
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.