Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

MDI Limitations

Posted by Jeff Graham 
Jeff Graham
MDI Limitations
August 20, 2008 04:23PM
Hi All,

After experimenting with the new WD 12 RAD, I decided to add a carousel control just for grins. However, my main window is a "MDI main" and it will not work unless I change it to "Free Window".

Is the MDI format just too old fashioned? Are there other limitations? Anyone else using MDI primarily? Opinions?

Cheers,
GuenterP
Re: MDI Limitations
August 20, 2008 04:54PM
Hi Jeff,

in contrary, I think one can produce very nice applications using MDI.

Traditionally, the 'empty space' of the MDI parent - made for the MDI child windows - is mostly not for controls. You can put an image control there but not a lot of other GUI elements. You could reduce the size of that space and place a control on the frame of the MDI parent. I'm putting a sidebar there which is a container for other controls (log-in edit controls, buttons and the like).

Kind regards, Guenter

<a href="[content.screencast.com] src="[content.screencast.com]; width="658" height="633" border="0" /></a>
Jeff Graham
August 20, 2008 05:16PM
Hi Guenter,

Very nice looking window. Good Idea about the sidebar. I too like the MDI format for many of my applications.

I am looking at the new RAD Patterns to see if I can generate more of my screens. I could put the MDI settings in those.

Thanks,
Jeff
Marius
August 22, 2008 09:13AM
HI Guenter

I'm impressed with the calendar in your example.

Did you program it yourself or is it part of a 3rd party control?

I don't know what the blue and red colored days are for, but I asumed that this calendar allows for editing any day. Like storing a activities on certain day.

Regards
Marius
Marius
August 22, 2008 09:14AM
HI Guenter

I'm impressed with the calendar in your example.

Did you program it yourself or is it part of a 3rd party control?

I don't know what the blue and red colored days are for, but I asumed that this calendar allows for editing any day. Like storing an activities on a certain day.

Regards
Marius
GuenterP
August 22, 2008 01:34PM

Hi Marius,

no, this calendar is home-made, pure WinDev. Red days are full-day holidays, green days are half-day holidays, working days are in black. Holidays are Austrian holidays. KW = Calendar Week. Notes are stored in a Hyperfile. If you really want it, I'd have to cut out the calendar parts from the project and you'd have to add your own holidays and remove the others as needed ..

Kind regards,
Guenter
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.