Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

WinDev 12 - weird behaviour on Vista 32 notebook

Posted by GuenterP 
GuenterP
WinDev 12 - weird behaviour on Vista 32 notebook
August 06, 2008 10:13PM

Hi, this is rather weird and I wanted to whether anybody knows a solution for it:

WinDev 12 / US runs troublefree on my Vista64 computer.

On my Vista32 laptop everything seems to work fine as well but everytime I try fill in a CAPTION in the property window of an edit control / combo box .. I get a short halt then it shows a small window with two buttons [Switch to other application?] [Retry]. When clicking on Switch, the Start-menu goes up, nothing else. After a number of clicking the Retry and Switch buttons, the small window goes away and it lets me fill in the caption. Exactly the same weird thing happens when I try to fill in the next caption text.

Any idea what's the reason for that and eventually how to cure it?

Kind regards,
Guenter
Hyrum Tatton
Re: WinDev 12 - weird behaviour on Vista 32 notebook
August 06, 2008 11:45PM
You might try:
control panel ==> Personalization ==> Custom DPI Setting and make sure the checkbox "Use Windows XP style DPI scaling" is checked. Without this vista does some wierd stuff.

Cheers
Hyrum
GuenterP
August 07, 2008 12:14AM
Thank you, Hyrum ! I'll try that tomorrow and let you know. Kind regards, Guenter
GuenterP
August 09, 2008 01:48PM
Hi Hyrum, I'm sorry, it doesn't work! That checkbox had been checked already. I tried a lot of things - no joy! I'll ask PC Soft, let's see .. thank you & kind regards, Guenter
Hello Guenter

The message sounds like it is part of a bigger message, something like: "server is busy switch to other app or retry"

If this is the case it could be indicating a timeout because another function is consuming too many resources. Maybe the task manager can show you what is happening.

There was an article on Google regarding startup services running as a user account in relation to Sony laptops running PCSuite and the solution was to try configuring the proprietary laptop startup services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

Regards
Al
Jimbo
August 09, 2008 04:51PM

Hi Al, YES, you're right! Server is busy .. that's the message! Thank you for the suggestion, I'll try to understand and fix the issue. Thanks! Guenter
Michel Fages
August 11, 2008 11:55AM
Hi Guenter,

AFAIK, when you type a caption text within WinDev for the first time in the session, the default dictionnary is loaded to handle the automatic correction. As this takes more time than expected, the message is displayed. Nothing bad, nothing wrong, just click on Retry and everything will be OK.

Regards,

Michel Fages
WinDev'er since 1994
GuenterP
August 11, 2008 01:53PM
No Michel, that small window appears for each and every caption. For hours. Captions of edit controls, captions of Tables, whatever, as long as it is a caption ... I've been hunting behind ASPI drivers, spyware and lots of other suggestions from the world wide web. No joy. Now, I'll re-install that whole bloody notebook and test for that weird window in WinDev (11 + 12) after each install of additional software. I've spent hours now, de-installing programs and following advice from all over the world. I'll report about the outcome ... (except for those disputes with Microsoft customer service about re-installing their high valued Windows and Office software for a second or third time respectively)

Kind regards,
Guenter
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.