Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What's wrong with PC SOFT?

Posted by Thomas 
Thomas
What's wrong with PC SOFT?
December 30, 2010 06:14PM
I do not understand PC Soft. Either they do not have good developers or they can not really

I wrote in March 2008:
Problem with Appointment functions

Request Details:
Hello,
please look at that sample code:

SessionID is int
SessionID = EmailStartOutlookSession("Outlook")
// Initialize the variables of the Appointment structure
//AppointmentReset()
// Fill the variables for the new appointment
mAppointment.Subject = "Sales meeting"
mAppointment.StartDate="20080325100000"
mAppointment.EndDate="200803251200000"
mAppointment.ReminderBefore=15
mAppointment.AutoReminder=True
mAppointment.Location = "Room 3B"
mAppointment.NbParticipant = 3
mAppointment.Participant[1] = "Roman"
mAppointment.Participant[2] = "Lucas"
mAppointment.Participant[3] = "Stephen"
// Add the appointment
IF AppointmentAdd(SessionID) = True THEN
Info("Appointment successfully added")
ELSE
Error("Error while adding", ErrorInfo())
END

When I click on the Button I get the message "Appointment successfully added". The appointment is entered in Outlook 2003 (Servicepack 3).
But Outlook shows me immediately after the reminder window of this appointment. But the appointment is on 25.03.2008! When I put the same date(25.03.2008) in the just open reminder window of Outook and click on "safe&close", comes the reminder window not more.

I got the following response(March 2008!):
Hi THOMAS,

Thank you for this feedback. I replicate easily the problem with your code using Outlook 2002. This problem has been submitted to our developers. It might require a fix or an upgrade. However it is not possible to tell at the moment. We will contact you as soon as we have new information on that matter. You may use the following reference if you contact the hotline 55829.

It is very difficult for us to know how this particular problem may affect your application. Do not hesitate to contact us again if you think this is critical for you.

I asked again this year if the bug is fixed. Now I have presented the following results:
I have bad news. As our developpers investigate about the problem, they found a bug in the underlying Microsoft function for Outlook. Therefore it is impossible for us to fix this bug.I'm very sorry to say that and I wish it would end in a better way.

That does not exist yet! I have Visual Studio with which I can comunicate with no problems with Outlook!
Without a auto reminder I forgot my calendar entries in Outlook! For me this wonderful feature is completely useless! How to avoid this fatal error?

A desperate man with Windev, still wish you all a happy new year

Thomas

Jimbo
Suggestion
December 31, 2010 09:36AM

Hi, I do not understand your problem!
The appointment in your code is for 25.3.2008 ("20080325")
You have switched on 'Autoreminder' (= True)
So, what is wrong ?? That you're getting a reminder immediately?
Did you try to switch Autoreminder off?
What's the result then?
Can you add the Autoreminder with AppointmentModify immediately after adding?

If you cannot succeed, I'd recommend that you build a DLL with Visual Studio or with PowerBasic and integrate this one into your project. Since there are other programming languages available, it's definitely not necessary to wait for such a long time! Kind regards & a Happy New Year, Guenter
Thomas
Re: What's wrong with PC SOFT?
December 31, 2010 12:11PM
Hi Guenter,

The appointment in your code is for 25.3.2008 ("20080325")
You have switched on 'Autoreminder' (= True)
So, what is wrong ?? That you're getting a reminder immediately?
Yes, when I enter an appointment reminder for the 12/31/2012, I get the reminder today

Did you try to switch Autoreminder off?
Of course, but then I do not need Outlook, then I can write my appointment at the wall calendar

If you cannot succeed, I'd recommend that you build a DLL with Visual Studio or with PowerBasic and integrate this one into your project. Since there are other programming languages available, it's definitely not necessary to wait for such a long time!

This is about the principle that PC SOFT offers good ideas and then implement it badly. You work for days in the subject and get mediocre results. And this is not the only mistake was not corrected.
And then stirs PC Soft hopes that the bug will be fixed but nothing happens.
From the slogan 10 times faster remains only slightly.
I've been here Windev 5.5, unfortunately PC SOFT from version to version always sloppy.
I'm considering switching to Visual Studio final and complete with accessories my project. Unfortunately, the very expensive otherwise I would have done it.
Jimbo
December 31, 2010 12:56PM

Hi,

1 - did you try to UPDATE the appointment by AppointmentModify with Autoreminder = True right after adding the appointment with Autoreminder = False ?

comment: imho, it's not a solution oriented approach to lean back beacuse it doesn't work. There's always a solution, believe me. Our job of being programmers is not writing code but rather to solve all surfacing problems of a project. And exactly this is the skill our customers pay for. Kids in school learn how to program, what they can't learn there is solving difficult problems.

Guenter
Thomas
December 31, 2010 02:55PM
comment: imho, it's not a solution oriented approach to lean back beacuse it doesn't work. There's always a solution, believe me. Our job of being programmers is not writing code but rather to solve all surfacing problems of a project. And exactly this is the skill our customers pay for. Kids in school learn how to program, what they can't learn there is solving difficult problems.

I see the ball at PC SOFT. I have purchased the product WINDEV of PC SOFT. I ask of PC SOFT which a solution is found. PC SOFT has confirmed that it is a bug. PC SOFT here has a responsibility issue. And they say Microsoft would be guilty and there is no solution to this error. A bad joke! And THAT is not the right answer!

Sure I'm working on a solution but the "child in the man" is PC SOFT.
Ola
December 31, 2010 03:35PM
Thomas,

I agree with you. In their eagerness to fill the empty spaces between the long, pretty pairs of legs in their shiny annual sales brochures PCSoft is cranking out buggy "features" from their turbocharged bug & feature generator faster that it can fix their bugs, and this simply leads to messy end product which causes that the product in practice is 10 times slower than some more reliable products .

On the other hand, PCSoft might well be right in this case. MickeySoft may have deliberately broken Outlook's interface so that only their own tools know how to work with it? This is not knowledge, just a feeling, as I have no experience of programming Outlook. Actually I do my best to stay at least a broom handle's length away from MS products.

Guenter,

"Kids in school learn how to program, what they can't learn there is solving difficult problems."

I assume you are referring here to PCSoft's programmers:-)

best regards and a better new year to all windevers around the world!
Ola
[www.pienoismalli.com]
John Doe
January 05, 2011 05:59PM
Everything is wrong there in Montpellier because of that stupid French chauvinism from one century ago... It's better they start a glossy fashion magazine and they stay away from software development. That's what they call 'focusing'.

I stepped over to LiveCode 4.5.2. Real 10x faster, 10x cheaper and native support of Windows/Linux/Mac OS X platform PLUS free database drivers PLUS Internet/Intranet PLUS iPhone/iPad/Windows Mobile/Windows Phone 7/Android native apps generation with ONLY one code base.

[www.runrev.com]
Thomas
January 05, 2011 07:17PM
Hi John,

Runrev is a 5GL language?
Can I work with barcodes? Can I use it to control Word, Outlook and Excel (Runrev own functions)? Is it possible to control a scanner? User Groupware?

Regards

Thomas

July 24, 2020 04:34PM
Did this ever get fixed, I am using v22 and it is still happening!! I agree with Thomas, this is crazy. The created and modify also does not fix the issue.
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.