Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

An interesting alternate Dev Tool with features similar to WX

Posted by Yogi Yang 
Hello,

I am just excited to come across this tool. Personally it seems to address all my current development problems...

It is not WinDev like but support almost all platforms with Grid/Cloud computing and at a very, very reasonable price! And is supports multiple development languages also...

Do check this out: [liveapps.center]

Regards,

Yogi Yang
Hi Yogi,

On first impression, it looks very impressive and with the current 25% off promotion on the top 2 tiers, the pricing looks ok too. On the "starter" tier I could subscribe for approximately 8 years based on the current WX suite prices! ...and over 2 years if I were to go for the "Pro" tier. Because this is SaaS, the storage and bandwidth usage requirements would need to be looking into carefully, especially if you were using this as your sole dev system :confused:

As always when considering a new dev platform, there would be a myriad of questions and considerations to take into account before "going for it". That said, I especially like the flexibility to be able to mix different programming languages within the same project (Basic, C, Pascal etc) :xcool: Obviously, WX tackles this in a different way by making WLanguage agnostic and sooo easy to use :xcool:

Each to their own I say - but a good find and a "seemingly" decent alternative all the same... there must be a catch? winking smiley

Q: Are you using this and have you built anything with it yet?
Hi,
Cool

But as darren stated you have to lurn new stuff and there might be a catch. It is not for me. But pricing and the consept is great!!

W language is veery easy and powerfull!!!!!. especially easy to do increible things. If you look at an other platform and look at coding you will see that again and again.!!

I cannot what for verion 20 to arive!! Hope weddev 21 php modus will have charts. If it does it will be a force to be reckoned with ;-)
Hi,

what the different with visual studio ?
GuenterP
Re: A Dev Tool with no features similar to WX
April 06, 2016 06:32PM
Hi Yogi, to me, this looks worse than even WinDev 5.5. Where are the anchors? Styles? Colors. I've seen such window editors 15 years ago. Sorry, this has nothing in it which can compete with e.g. WINDEV 20. They want to take your source code as well, except for paying "Business" at 2550 US$ - per year!

Understand: there have been 100 people working for 20 years in Montpellier on development tools (at first the very successful HyperScreen for DOS and then WINDEV starting with Windows 3.11) How could LA compete? The concept is the same as Java is offering: multi-platform. Of course, like with Java, there is still the hardware problem. Plus ... please see the FAQs

How can I publish apps on LA.Store?
You need a) a subscription plan, and b) LA.Developer to publish your apps.

And if LA is going south at any time in the near or far future: say bye, bye to your applications!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2016 06:41PM by GuenterP.
Guenter, correct! Wouldn't dream of looking at that platform vs. WD.
DerekT
April 06, 2016 06:52PM
Thought it was just me for a minute.
A promise of the holy grail if you pay 2550 US$ per annum.:rolleyes:

If I had to move in a new direction I would rather opt for 'Couchbase'
Hmm.. It's been long time since we had a test on hyperscreen (~1987-1989), Dataflex and
Magic Software. We chose Dataflex 4GL on Novell OS but finally got down to wd5.5 with Oracle/MSSql and of course now in wx14-20, and tempting for wx21. I think it's the best so far in terms of simplicity.

King
DarrenF
Q: Are you using this and have you built anything with it yet?
No I have still not developed any app on this platform. But will soon.

I just shared it here because I thought this is a good innovative tool. I immediately fell in love with the UI because I still develop apps in VB6 and Delphi.

I am looking at this from a different angle. I know WD is the best but still it has not been able to address all the platforms. You still can't compile you app for OSX for example. While in case of LA you can compile stand along app and distribute it as you want.

Regards,

Yogi Yang
Allard
I cannot what for verion 20 to arive!! Hope weddev 21 php modus will have charts. If it does it will be a force to be reckoned with ;-)

A few suggestions esp. for you....
[www.lianja.com] (seems to support Php coding, though have never used it though)
[www.limnor.com] (very interesting way to build web apps and sites with almost zero coding in Php, am playing with it at the moment)

Regards,

Yogi Yang
Yogi Yang
April 07, 2016 10:53AM
Hi Guenter,

GuenterP
Hi Yogi, to me, this looks worse than even WinDev 5.5. Where are the anchors? Styles? Colors. I've seen such window editors 15 years ago. Sorry, this has nothing in it which can compete with e.g. WINDEV 20. They want to take your source code as well, except for paying "Business" at 2550 US$ - per year!

Ok the tool does look quite dry but it is functional and it works on multiple platforms. So I can use it natively on Linux, OSX, etc. and build apps for multiple platforms right from Windows to Linux to OSX to Android! Try that with WD. winking smiley

From what I understand they don't take you source. They require you to publish modification that you have do to their published code (if you use that code in your apps). Your apps are secure and your code is your to keep!

GuenterP
How can I publish apps on LA.Store?
You need a) a subscription plan, and b) LA.Developer to publish your apps.

And if LA is going south at any time in the near or far future: say bye, bye to your applications!

App publishing on LA store is required is if you are using their App server/grid. For stand along app you can just distribute them as single executable file!

As far as your web apps concerned your feeling of insecurity is justified but then same can also happen in case of WB. What would happen if top management in PCSoft had a thistle among them and dissolved the company! This risk is associated with all such tools except open source tools.

Regards,

Yogi Yang
Hi Yogi.

No coding but visal stuff that you have to lurn as well.

For me . I ocasionally look at webdev replacements. For windows windev rocks for me there is no better tool availeble period.

Webdev is cool but could be better. SO I found that there are a view candidates that make sence to maybe choos over webdev:

1 Wakanda
- Provides a cool ide. and can make apps for phones as well. Scripting is done with javascript. Do not let this scare you off . With little coding a lot can be done.
It is all build on standards. and It is the latest technologie. It can use angular but react as well. This isway better then just ajax. You can make singel page javascript pages that push data to other clients ( auto refresh). This is new cool technology and a reson to go with this

Cool feature. wakanda is free. So you can play with it I have done so andthe controls are verry cool. The table control can actually be used as you can with a windev table. For iinput
Hosting can be done with wakanda cloud. Or where ever you want. But the wakanda cloud is cool.

2 Wavemaker
This is almoast windev in the cloud. Veery cool. Lots can be done without coding. and itis not just a dev rabd platform. all the hassel of scaling the app is done for you with their platform. You can host where you want.

This however is not free. And it is no longer availeble as download. You can try for 30 days butthen a 1 developer costs 99 dolar and 3 dev 199 per month.

Thisplat form has a lot going for it. webapps are instanly good for mobile and tablets. They even have an emulator to see how it looks
The IDE is in the cloud so you can acces from anywhere.

If you need to add business logic you can do a lot by just addin variabeles. But at some time you would have to ad java classes. Gui behavior can be manipulated with javascript . and a javascript expression editor.

Adding api to you app can be done easily and adding a webservice is as easy as adding stuff form your own database.

This platform can compeet with medix and out systems ( thoose apps cost 1200 and 1500 dollar per month!!).
even none programmer can make stunning apps with this platform. Scaling to thousands of users is a snap.
This works with angular and the newest tech as well.

Just my thoughts

For now I will try webdev. I hoper verion 21 gives what the specs state.

regards
Allard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2016 11:11AM by Allard.
Hello,

Here is the reply that I received from LA's CEO.

anil.korkut@liveapps.center
You only have to release source code if you have have used one of the source of the apps that we have published. LA.Developer source for example, you don't have to release your source of something you wrote on your own.

We added this feature because soon we will release a series of apps like LA.CRM, LA.Invoice, LA.ERP, and .... we want to ensure businesses that when they use LA.CRM they also have the source available for customizations.

Apps compiled with LA won't expire even if your LA's subscription has expired, they are native single executable files, but to be able to compile them you need at least a Basic subscription, which we really put a fair/low price on. smiling smiley

The future is in Live Computing, and with a Basic Plan you can slowly start a few small projects, run them Live or compile them to local exes and in time as you grow, you can select the next plan.

However, we do offer at the moment the LA.Startup Package which is basically, when you sign up for Starter Plan, we will help you create:
a) an app with up to 5 screens
b) give you first year free domain name
c) give you first year free hosting plan and install Wordpress/Drupal/Joomla
d) help you setup stripe.com so you can start selling online.

We help you to start your own App-Store business so to speak. We want to help individuals to create their own business. Read about this package it in our blog. [liveapps.center]

HTH

Yogi Yang
What happens if they go out of business ... ? What happens to your apps, your clients?
Thanks for the link, they have a attractive price yes. But to me everything is not only price, should I go back on Basic or Pascal again?
Wx are not perfect yet but I will still stick on it till something else but way easier.
JP
What happens if they go out of business ... ? What happens to your apps, your clients?
Nothing if you are distributing stand alone executable or Android APK.

If you are going to use their Grid/Cloud infrastructure then you will have to clear this point with them.
Re: An interesting alternate Dev Tool with features similar to WX
April 22, 2022 02:52AM
Hi,

Did anyone use any of the potential alternative tools listed here? I know liveapps is dead but lianja and limnor still seem to running strong.

Just my curiosity running wild.

regards

issah
Re: An interesting alternate Dev Tool with features similar to WX
April 22, 2022 07:01AM
Hi issah,

b4x is windev etc for the poor guys. They say, it is a continuation of Visual Basic ... and its free. Same, even better is Flutter / Dart it's a free multiplatform runtime & language. But you have to learn new paradigms.

Kind regards,
Guenter Predl
office@windev.at
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.