Advanced

Windows 7*64 + Virtual XP + WinDev

Posted by Jimbo 
Jimbo
Windows 7*64 + Virtual XP + WinDev
June 23, 2009 02:00PM
Hi,

good news is:
Windows 7 comes with Virtual PC / Virtual XP, a fully licensed Windows XP/SP3 to use pre-Vista 32bit or even 16-bit Software on a Windows 7*64/32 computer. Virtual XP even has no big problems like VMWare has with connecting / disconnecting USB-devices. This all seems to be great .. no licensing cost for WinXP, a stable virtual 32-bit Windows XP, what do we wish more? Oh yes, a working WinDev platform!

bad news is:
No version of WinDev (5.5 -> 14) works after installation on Virtual PC / Virtual XP !!! WinDev recognises the dongle as to be on a Remote Desktop connection (WD14) and refuses to work with the dongle plugged in to the host computer!! WinDev 5.5 tells us more: no network license! Seems that Aladdin blocks that connection. Neither a parallel dongle nor a USB-dongle work!

I believe, these problems are to be seen in connection with [www.aladdin.com] , the HASP-dongles used for copy-protection of WinDev. You will encounter a similar issue if you try to use WinDev on a remote computer through internet connection. Having the dongle on the office computer definitely protects it from losing while on tour visiting customers. However, Microsoft Remote Desktop will not work while VNC works fine. And Microsoft seems to have employed their Remote Desktop technology to create Virtual PC / Virtual XP.

note1:
VMWare Desktop lets you work with WinDev 5.5 - 14 without problems. Only problem with VMWare is that it is a) to be bought (US$ 189,-) and b) shows annoying problems as soon as you want to switch between the 'real' OS and the virtual OS - it is a pain to get USB devices connected / disconnected properly. And of course, the virtual OS (Windows XP) has to be licensed too (~ 100,- Euros).

note 2:
I'm going to test VirtualBox (Sun) which is free together with a copy of XP (which is not free) and together with Windows 7*32 RC, which is free for the time being but will have to be paid for in July 2010 the latest.

Jimbo
Bad news: VirtualBox (Sun) & XP & WinDev
June 28, 2009 10:29PM
Hi,

though VirtualBox from Sun makes a good impression as a virtual PC solution, it is NOT compatible with the HASP dongle / driver coming with WinDev.

To my taste, Aladdin offers a bad service. While virtualisation is a common task in development in order to test / develop / maintain software in different environments, imho the HASP dongle is not up to date.

VMWare does it right and is able to catch the HASP dongle into its environment and enables old WinDev versions to work properly. Not because the HASP dongle / driver allows it, but rather against their intentions.

WinDev 5.5 and some later versions do not work in a Windows*64 environment. For maintaining 'old' versions of WinDev software on a 64-bit Windows computer there must be a working 32-bit environment! The cheapest solution for running WinDev 5.5 would be to use Windows 7*64 together with Virtual XP*32 from Microsoft. Theoretically. In reality, the most expensive solution is left to us: VMware Desktop (US$ 189,- + Windows XP, (~ 120,- Euro).

Regards,
Guenter
Jimbo
Bad news: Parallels Workstation 2.2 + Windows 7
June 29, 2009 05:38PM
Hi, I tried to test Parallels Workstation 2.2 [www.parallels.com] with WinDev too - no way! Parallels 2.2 Workstation installs on Windows 2000 or Windows XP only! So, that's it for the time being .. Regards, Guenter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2009 05:39PM by Jimbo.
VirtualBox2.2 is working well for me.

My laptop runs Vista as the host o/s.
I'm running webdev14 on a WinXP virtual machine using Virtual Box.

On the Virtual Box program, select the machine, choose "Machine | Settings",
then on then "USB" section, click on the "+" button to "Add a new USB Filter"
and select the device that is similar to:
AKS HASP HL 3.21 [0321]

I did install the HASP runtimes on my vista laptop first:
[ftp.aladdin.com]

Hope this helps anyone trying to use virtualbox

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2009 08:27AM by Jimbo.
Jimbo
Bad news: no HASP driver for Windows 7
July 01, 2009 08:28AM
AlanT

AKS HASP HL 3.21 [0321]

[ftp.aladdin.com]

Hi Alan, thank you very much for the information !!!

Problem #1 - HASP SRM driver refuses installation on Windows 7*64

Kind regard,
Guenter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2009 08:56AM by Jimbo.
Jimbo
Re: Bad news: Parallels Workstation 2.2 + Windows 7
July 01, 2009 07:23PM
AlanT

AKS HASP HL 3.21 [0321]

[ftp.aladdin.com]

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 07/01/09 08:27AM by Jimbo.

Hi Alan,

I tried hard to make Virtualbox 3.0 work on Windows 7*64 - no way! There seems to be a lot of a difference between Vista and Windows 7 in regards to USB-devices. It was impossible to get at least a single USB-device working within VirtualBox 3.0 !! They all are listed and the dongle is even said to be 'caught', but it does not work. I installed Aladdin drivers in the virtual machine and in the Host operating system. No joy. But that problem is not restricted to the Aladdin dongle - I cant even get a memory stick or a USB-hard drive to function. So, I'm sorry, currently no way ..
Thank you!
Kind regards,
Guenter
Re: Windows 7*64 + Virtual XP + WinDev
November 24, 2021 08:02AM
AKS HASP HL 3.21 [0321]

——————————————————————————————————————————
supercourt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2021 08:03AM by WoodrowClarissa.
November 24, 2021 08:03AM
WinDev 5.5 and some later versions do not work in a Windows*64 environment. For maintaining 'old' versions of WinDev software on a 64-bit Windows computer there must be a working 32-bit environment! The cheapest solution for running WinDev 5.5 would be to use Windows 7*64 together with Virtual XP*32 from Microsoft. Theoretically. In reality, the most expensive solution is left to us: VMware Desktop (US$ 189,- + Windows XP, (~ 120,- Euro).

——————————————————————————————————————————
torba pl
November 24, 2021 09:40AM
Hi Clarissa,

thank you for your endeavours!

Kind regards,
Guenter Predl
office@windev.at
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.