Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Vertical data layout in tables

Posted by Al 
Al
Vertical data layout in tables
October 05, 2008 04:36PM
Hello All

I would like to propose a different display option in tables.
To illustrate what I mean I need to go back to 1984 and DOS Foxpro.
Foxpro, in its day, was just as innovative as PCSoft and some its data handling commands are still way ahead of WIndev in some areas.

I think this table option displays just how far advanced they were. Remember this is 1984 and all text displays, no graphics.

The data we handle these days just gets bigger and bigger and our tables stretch across the screen with large numbers of columns. Yes we can lock some of them and scroll across but the ability to display the data vertically enables so much more data to be displayed

The Foxpro table allowed you to display a record in a table in two panes. One side in the standard row and column format functions exactly the same as our current Windev tables, but the other side showed the data vertically.

I have tried asking PCSoft for something like this in the past but without success.

Regards
Al

Fabrice Harari
Re: Vertical data layout in tables
November 07, 2008 11:54PM
Hello Al,

considering that this effect could be achieved with a table + an edit control in which a simple procedure (that could even be coded generically once and for all for all tables) would display the current table line content (called from selection of a line code)...

Probably not more than 1-2 hours to code a basic version of this

Do we really need pcsoft for that?

best regards

Fabrice

PS: My Vote--
Carlo Hermus
Re: Vertical data layout in tables
December 02, 2008 09:18PM
It is even posible in less then 10 minutes.

Just create a horizontal table for the different records and a vertical table for record details, then tableenablefilter on the vertical table to match the selected record on the horizontal table. Add a splitter between them and voila.

My vote also -
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.