Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

WD Mobile - Consuming a Web Service from a Pocket PC

Posted by Andres Sanchez 
Andres Sanchez
WD Mobile - Consuming a Web Service from a Pocket PC
July 18, 2008 01:14AM
Hi everyone.

I am developing an app in a Pocket PC, and having too much trouble.
First I realize that you cannot connect to MSSQL w/o Native Access.

So I began to try to communicate to the server via web services.

Then in the pocket emulator does work with Serialize/Deserialize, but not in the Pocket
It throws an error that a Buffer variable is needed, so I change the string var to buffer, and nothing happend, so i stopped with Serialize / Deserialize and i am sending the data as string with separators. All my options worked in the emulator, but when I try it in the pocket, nothing seems to work.

Anyone has done something like this?

Andres Sanchez
Andres,

you have to use UnicodeToAnsi() on the pc side, when connecting from the real device. See the help for more info.

Arie
Andres Sanchez
Re: WD Mobile - Consuming a Web Service from a Pocket PC
July 19, 2008 12:29AM
Hi Arie:

Dont know exactly what do you mean by that.
I am not using Unicode Characters.

Please explain more...

Thanks
Andres Sanchez
Andres,

1. see help for UnicodeToAnsi

2. Read this:

3. Short explanation: on PocketPC characters are stored in 2 bytes on PC in 1 byte

HTH, Merijn
Andres Sanchez
Re: WD Mobile - Consuming a Web Service from a Pocket PC
July 24, 2008 03:17AM
Merjin:

Thanks for the explanation, as you can see this is my first job involving a pocket, and dint know that.

But now I know it and still cannot consume the service as it should, I have tried to put the UnicodetoAnsi function, in several places, on the web service and on the pocket, and sometimes nothing happens, and other the IIS crashes, and have to reset windows.

Can you tell me where do i put exactly that UnicodeToAnsi function.

I have a web service that takes an int number and returns a small data set, I assume this is the string to convert, but the thing is when in the code should i do this in order to get it right.

Thanks for your help

Andres Sanchez
Andres,

Currenly I'm using socket communication between pc-Server and PocketPC.

ONLY on PC side:
- UnicodeToAnsi after the SocketRead
- AnsiToUnicode before a SocketWrite
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.