Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SCARY - Has anybody seen this ?

Posted by SteveSitas 
SCARY - Has anybody seen this ?
September 08, 2023 10:34AM
Hi,
Last night, I made some changes to one of my WD26 apps, saved it, compiled it, and did a backup ...
The compiled app runs just fine in our company ...

This morning I opened the app again and everything looked fine - but as soon as I made some changes to my analysis, regenerated and synched with the app I got 2 or 3 errors. Code that I changed a week or so "automagically reappeared" !!!!

Seems like something "triggered" a "rollback" in the code editing.
If I didn't get any errors I would have never known about the problem.

I restored the app from my last backup and everything looks fine ..

Has anybody seen this?

* I didn't have any GPFs, I have flush turned on (in WX and Windows), but I have, at the same time, a WX27 app that shares the same analysis with the WX26 app

Regards
Steven Sitas
JP
Re: SCARY - Has anybody seen this ?
September 08, 2023 11:04AM
Steve

I have seen "funnies" like this. My best guess as to the cause of the problem is when using an undo operation (i.e. to undo a code change or other change one has made). It seems to me that WinDev saves the changes you make as you work and then if you choose an undo operation it sometimes gets confused about what the exact sequence of operations was done in order to then undo. This is only a guess as to the problem but since I have become very wary of using undo operations the problem seems to be less. I am now on version 28 and seems better and I save often. Just my 2c worth ...
September 08, 2023 11:36AM
Hi JP,
I also avoid the undo operation and large searches and replaces.

What bothers me here, is that I saved, compiled, and then made a backup - after that I just exited WX.
The compiled app and the backup are just fine.

But as soon as I make any changes in the original app, I get this "ghost code".

Regards
Steven Sitas
JP
September 08, 2023 11:40AM
Steve,

Yeah, I have seen this before. It is very weird. But I find this happening less in V28. WD is storing your edits and related stuff somewhere for potential undo operations and somehow it's getting confused. It is why if I am very busy with a project I make multiple backups even in the same day, Frustrating ...

[UPDATE] - And I often run the Project recompile operation which seems to "clear" the problem/confusion in WD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2023 11:41AM by JP.
September 08, 2023 01:06PM
Hi JP,
most of my customers do not have WX28 (or even WX27), and since I sell code, moving beyond WX26 is not an option.
I even do some programming with WX21, because many developers have not upgraded to newer WX versions.
And I must say WX21 is the most "rock solid" WX version I have ever used ...

So for now, backup, backup, and backup again !!!

Regards
Steven Sitas
Al
September 08, 2023 01:41PM
Hello Steven,

I elected to stop my Windev development at V25 so I have not observed the problem but I looked up "history" in the Windev Help and found a discusion of what happens if "History is enabled" in the code menu of the IDE. The history of changes is stored a "History" directory with sub folders for .wdw, .wde etc files. Deleting the History folder and/or sub folders removes the code changes and probably the ability for some unknown process to alter your coding.

It might be useful to delete or move the history folders each day as a precaution.

The other alternative is to turn off the code history in the code edit options in the Tools menu

Regards
Al

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2023 01:48PM by Al.
September 08, 2023 05:52PM
Hi Al,

I turned OFF "Save history of code changes" a long time ago ..

From the posts in the PCSofts forums, this seems to be a known problem in WX26.
According to PCSoft, WX27 solved this problem.

Regards
Steven Sitas
September 11, 2023 09:00AM
Yes, I've had these issues before with WB25. I hold my breath every time I do an undo. And I don't dare a global search and replace.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.