Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need frank opinion about upgrading to latest version of WX

Posted by YogiYang 
Need frank opinion about upgrading to latest version of WX
April 19, 2023 07:41AM
Hello,

Currently we are using WX 20 & 24 but are planning to upgrade, but before we bite the bullet need to know whether it is worth upgrading directly to the latest WX 28 or not?

Another thing is that if we purchase WX 28 and then can we downgrade the license to use WX 27 if required? This would only be required if WX 28 does not fulfill out expectations.

Finally I hear rumors that now PCSoft has added an option to purchase WX that works without physical dongle. Is this true?

TIA

--
Yogi Yang
Al
Re: Need frank opinion about upgrading to latest version of WX
April 19, 2023 07:51AM
Hello Yogi,

I upgraded to V26 and couldn't cope with the changes to the IDE so I reverted back to V25 and I will stay with that until something breaks between Windev and the current MS operating system.

My advice would be to download the Express version as it is V27 so you could see if the IDE changes is no big deal for you and also check out the feature differences between your versions and V27

Regards
Al
April 19, 2023 08:11AM
Hi YogiYang,

most new versions do fix problems of the older ones. So, if you found some annoying issues in version 24, it may well be that those issues are gone in v28. Or not. You should do a test ...

Most new versions, in your case 25, 26, 27, 28 do offer a bunch of new features. It may be, your programs could look more modern oder more elegant using those features. Think again.

Kind regards,
Guenter Predl
office@windev.at
April 22, 2023 03:38PM
Thanks @Al and @Guenter,

I will surely check the Expression Edition.

But I am confident that I will be able to learn and adopt to the new IDE of WX 28.

My main concern is that if the IDE is unstable and crashes a lot then I may have to downgrade to WX27. Will this be possible?

TIA

--
Yogi Yang
April 23, 2023 08:37PM
Hi Yogi,
Since you are at v24, you could upgrade now to v28 and work with v27 (your v28 license includes v27 also ..)
Don't start any new project with v28 - especially if you need to release before October this year.

Generally, you cannot downgrade projects from newer versions to older versions of WX.
The only thing I found that we can do is share an analysis with different versions of WX - but even then you must be carefull ..

Regards
Steven Sitas

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2023 08:37PM by SteveSitas.
April 24, 2023 08:42AM
IDE is unstable and crashes a lot so i have to go back to Wx27.

Barcode Label Maker by : [www.barcodelabelmaker.org]
April 24, 2023 09:29AM
Hi, I'm using WINDEV v28 since its introduction in 2022 and there have been only a few (3 to 4) unexplainable crashes. I suspect, crashes are caused by not having enough installed memory. Each time, I lost an small amount of code only. A v28 project needs about 700mb while a v26 project only needs about half of that. Crashes happened only when several projects of different WINDEV versions were open. My computer has 16gb of installed memory.

Kind regards,
Guenter Predl
office@windev.at
May 08, 2023 02:17PM
SteveSitas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Generally, you cannot downgrade projects from
> newer versions to older versions of WX.
>
Thanks for drawing my attention to the downgrade of projects problem in WX. That has skipped my mind altogether.

@Guenter, that is an interesting observation. I have plenty of memory as my PC is equipped with 32 GB RAM.

TIA

--
Yogi Yang
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.