Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

WD 26 Not Saving ...

Posted by SteveSitas 
WD 26 Not Saving ...
December 19, 2022 11:53AM
Hi, for some time I have been seeing WD26 NOT saving my code changes (in a random way).
Today I had some free time and I did some investigating ...

Tried a GLOBAL replace of some strings in one of my apps, checked to see if everything is OK, saved and closed my project.
Opened the project again and the changes where missing !!!

The only thing that pasted my mind is that my version 01A260101d has been corrupted _AND_ then I realized that I had WD 27 mobile also opened _AND_ the 2 apps I was working with shared the same analysis. I closed the WX27 and now it seems like everything is ok ...
Has anybody seen this?

Regards
Steven Sitas
Re: WD 26 Not Saving ...
December 19, 2022 01:03PM
Hi Steven, I've always been using WINDEV 26 alone but lost some code too. Mainly, I'm using WINDEV v27 and had no data / code loss at all. So, I'm not sure that concurrent usage of WD mobile + WD is the complete cause ...

Kind regards,
Guenter Predl
office@windev.at
December 19, 2022 01:13PM
Hi Guenter,
It looks like WX27 is OK - but unfortunately I cant move everything to WX27.
I will report here anything I find about WX26 ..

Regards
Steven Sitas
December 19, 2022 01:37PM
Hi

There has been a lot of fuss on the French fora about this...
I have had this too and I think it only got resolved with V27 update 3 or 4 in the end.

Loosing code changes is unacceptable imho as it drops all confidence in the platform/
At first PCS reacted very lightheaded to this when reading the fora. There didn't seem to be a real reproduction scenario and it happended sort of randomly so in the eyes of PCS the numerous complaints didn't exist...

My feeling is that it only happens with the SCM activated.
I thought having found that recompiling before closing everything may be a workaround as it redeclares all objects but I'm not sure and I have everything on V27 Upd 4 now.

Cheers

Peter
December 19, 2022 06:20PM
Hi Peter,
It definitely is NOT the SCM - at least for me - since I have never used the SCM !!!

Regards
Steven Sitas
December 19, 2022 06:32PM
Hi, same for me! No SCM ever.

Kind regards,
Guenter Predl
office@windev.at
December 22, 2022 12:23PM
Hi,
just got a reply from PCSoft tech support:

" Hi Steven, I'm very sorry for the inconvenience. However, there will be no fix anymore for version 26.
Sorry again for not being able to help you more. "

The problem is that I don't have any confidence in v26 anymore _AND_ I was just going to release a new version of our major product to WX developers - and of course I cannot force customers to upgrade to v27...

Regards
Steven Sitas
Al
December 22, 2022 12:45PM
Hello Steven

The problem started in V25 and has carried over to V26. I originally thought that the huge change to the IDE in V26 was an attempt by PCSoft to fix the saving issue by removing the MDI interface in the IDE but now I am not so sure.

I am still using V25 and have "fixed" the problem with the following work around.

I stopped using Alt S (save all) and Ctrl Shift W (save and close all)
I only use Ctrl S to save any open window - code, reports, screens etc
In V25 I can have many code and other windows open within the IDE and when I have finished my changes, I click on each window separately to give it focus and then Ctrl S and then close the window using the "X" in the window.

I started this method many months ago and have not lost any code since using this method. It is cumbersome but it works for me in V25

Regards
Al
December 23, 2022 07:18PM
Hi Al,
things are getting really crazy here ...
Yesterday I changed all my "309" code to "320", Saved the app and Closed the project.
I Reopened the project just to be sure and everything looked fine - I even got a screenshot with the changed code.

Today I reopened the project and the changes were lost - everything is back to "309" !!!!
As far as I can tell, changes that I did manually were not affected - only changes with Find & Replace.

Regards
Steven Sitas

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2022 07:18PM by SteveSitas.
March 19, 2024 11:13PM
Hello All,

I have noticed in Version WD28 I have now seen this issue twice.

1st time was a report where I changed the breaks. Compiled and created a setup exe and delivered to users. Couple of weeks later was asked to do another change and all the previous work was gone.

2nd time I edited a form and created a new button. I have 2 version of the same project, current release and future version, (No SCM) and did the same task in both. Later opened the current version and button is gone all changes lost. I was able to copy and paste it back from the future version, but this is not good.

I was playing around with using the SCM on a different project and ran into all kinds of issues. The biggest you can not rename a object like window, report , query or class without a complete disaster.

DW
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.