Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

LST PCSOFT

Posted by jtadebruin 
LST PCSOFT
July 30, 2022 04:53PM
BEST PC SOFT

I've been subscribed to your magazine LST for some time now
I have no complaints about the topics discussed in the magazine. However, there is one issue I don't understand.
In all the time that I have been subscribed I have received from you:
- lots of sunglasses
- lots of pens
- many bags
- many stickers
- many posters

Unfortunately I have NEVER received a thing from you
An LST in English !

Can we expect this in the future?

MEILLEUR LOGICIEL PC

Je suis abonné depuis un certain temps à votre magazine LST
Je n'ai rien à redire sur les sujets abordés dans le magazine. Cependant, il y a un problème que je ne comprends pas.
Pendant tout le temps que j'ai été abonné, j'ai reçu de vous:
- beaucoup de lunettes de soleil
- beaucoup de stylos
- de nombreux sacs
- de nombreux autocollants
- de nombreuses affiches

Malheureusement je n'ai JAMAIS rien reçu de vous
Un LST en anglais !

Pouvons-nous nous attendre à cela dans le futur ?
Al
Re: LST PCSOFT
July 31, 2022 07:53AM
Hello,

The answer, is never !

PCSoft supply an English language version of their software, they are morally obliged to fully support that product to the same extent as their French version but they refuse to do so.

There is no logical or reasonable explanation for the lack of technical support for non French language developers.

Cost is not a valid reason to deny the resource to non French developers.
PCSoft could easily supply the LST text as a PDF via a download. There is no need for the magazine or the stupid pens and sunglasses.

The same argument applies to their "Spenglish" version with its mix of Spanish and English text on the Web Help Screens which are probably 25% English and for some links there is no attempt at providing a Spanish language page, they go straight to the English versions.

Regards
Al

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2022 08:00AM by Al.
July 31, 2022 08:37AM
Hi,

DeepL translates French into a readable German or English. In the past, there have been plans to publish an English LST but somehow ... The greatest obstacle to translate an LST into English or German is the fact that it's available on glossy paper - not in PDF - only. I do own a bunch of LSTs, I can read some French, but I don't speak it. To me, it's hard to comprehend ..

Kind regards,
Guenter Predl
office@windev.at
August 01, 2022 07:55PM
Hi Jan

I've been communicating already for years directly to the commercial guys at PCSoft that:
- their marketing model is completely outdated (like the dongles and probably the old men running the department)
- their marketing model is extremely unsustainable and an ecological disaster (who still prints -outdated- books to ship with a product that only a handful of people will look into? And please drop all cheap plastic pens, silly posters, crappy bags, sunglasses, ...)
- they urgently need to open up the platform if it wants to survive in the long term (and make it really cloud ready)
- if they're not interested in aiming at a global market with (as everywhere in IT) an "English first-other languages next" development and go-to market strategy, they might as well stop pretending they do and crawl back under their stone in Montpellier blinded by the dogma that the world ends where 'le monde francophone' ends. Simply accept English as the primary 'lingua franca' of today.
- they need to create an online support platform, accessible by their customers as a knowledge base with an open view on outstanding issues and bugs and their possible workarounds. I guess there are so many (which we all know), they probably think it is better not to do so...
- they need to professionalise and modernise their go-to market by fixing current bugs, adapt the platform to better work in modern REST based and cloud-like architectures (infrastructure as code), instead of heaving this yearly 'surprise' with tons of half baked new features.
- they need to move to a subscription model allowing to enjoy continuous improvement and platform evolution like any other modern framework does
- get some real international references... Their French site drops nice videos of successful WinDev solutions build for international brands, but each time you scratch the surface it seems it is just the French 'succursal' or local branch organisation and the local IT never seems to be able to sell this back to the international mother company as it is always simply a local French solution in the end. Seems nobody from these local branches is able to convince the global IT-director that the local French solution is something that may work globally. No wonder if he goes to the English website and sees the latest news dates back some years ago and there is hardly an English speaking community...
- and so on and so on... I could go on for ever ;-)

These guys really don't have any international ambition...
But hey, if they don't want too, it's their call and it's one of the main reasons I'm not pushing WX as a technology for international customers of ours. There's better stuff in that case with a larger and more professional support base.

Just my 2 cents

Peter H.
August 02, 2022 02:51PM
Greetings to the community

I would follow up on this topic. There are quite a few questions that need to be addressed to PC Soft.
- Why do they too often release new versions that are full of errors?
- Is the HF SQL database still at the bottom of the list of world databases? I am of the opinion and probably all of you that PC Soft should seriously work on improving their HF database or officially connect to some of the powerful databases (Oracle, MS SQL)

I am of the opinion that PC Soft would have to respect all these remarks made on this site considering that all the "serious" users of PC Soft products here are those who pay for their products.

[infosonline.net]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2022 02:55PM by infos.
August 04, 2022 08:34AM
Hi, according to our own tests, HFSQL is one of the fastest databases amongst the competition! We have Wx-customers using HFSQL databases with up to 1000 permanently connected PCs and tablets with database sizes of several gigabytes at very acceptable speeds. Of course, you have to know what you're doing when designing and programming for such a network. Our experience says that you have to wisely select between SQL queries and h-commands, especially when filling table controls. HFSQL excels at its ability to directly support arrays.

Kind regards,
Guenter Predl
office@windev.at
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.