Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[WB 25]Excel import

Posted by ericus 
[WB 25]Excel import
July 21, 2022 09:43AM
Good day
Normally I have no problems importing Excel files.

I normally have a drop-down where the user can select which sheet to import. Then I populate various drop-downs with the column headings names i.e. ColumnA, Column B untill the number of columns used have been reached.

When importing I then select the row and the selected drop-down column - 1 to get the correct column offset. (The first item in the list says 'Select a Column').

For some reason on some Excel files the column offset does not work with the selected column -1. It needs a -2. I have no idea why. I checked if there were maybe merged cells in the spreadsheet but can find no obvious reason. The files I am importing normally does not even contain column headings in the first row and in this case the import only starts at row 34 with all manner of crap appearing in the first 33 rows which I ignore.

Anybody else seen this? Any way to adjust for it because it is about 30 different spreadsheets that must be imported from one interface.

Thanks in advance

Ericus Steyn
Re: [WB 25]Excel import
July 21, 2022 11:12PM
Hidden column?
July 22, 2022 09:11AM
I checked that Mike but all is fine,
JP
July 22, 2022 10:26AM
Ericus,

I would suspect maybe the character encoding used in the XLS file? You might need to open it and re-save it in some other coding (if that's possible). What happens if you manually open the XLS file in Excel and then re-save it yourself under another name and then try import that new XLS file?
July 25, 2022 07:17AM
Good morning JP
Tried re-saving the file, made some changes to it and re-saved again.

It won't budge. Give me the wrong data every time.

I'm going to send it to support. See if they will take a look at it.
July 26, 2022 12:04AM
Are all the files created and saved with the same version of Office (32/64bit, version number)?

Any possibility the column offset is not being reset properly in some cases?

How is the column offset being applied in code?
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.