Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hosted Development Machine

Posted by MediOffice 
Hosted Development Machine
June 09, 2022 09:04AM
Has anybody got experience with hosting their development machine on a remote server. I use Webdev on my laptop - I travel constantly between two countries. I'm the only developer and I'm getting increasingly uncomfortable with the risk of my laptop getting damaged or stolen and the hassle of getting up and running again. Of course my code is backed up every day.

I would very much like to move my dev box to an AWS server but I've heard that PCSoft have implemented security that won't allow this e.g. it won't see the USB dongle on my machine and also they won't allow Webdev to run from an RDP session.

I would appreciate any advice on this.

Thanks
Re: Hosted Development Machine
June 09, 2022 10:21AM
Hi, it's easy. Just leave your development machine switched on at home and use a remote desktop software like AnyDesk, PCVisit etc to access your machine and fix errors, add features etc. Any printing has to be done by "Preview" at first.

Kind regards,
Guenter Predl
office@windev.at
pao
June 09, 2022 07:01PM
I don't know if it works in AWS.
Our in house experience, with normal dongles, not network dongles, is this:
If you try to launch windev or webdev in one PC using RDP the dongles isn't found
We have installed VNC in all our development machines and with this type of connection it works without problems.

We are using VPN to connect to the company network and only after that we can access the dev machines using one VNC viewer.

I never used network dongles,

Regards

Paulo Oliveira

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2022 07:02PM by pao.
Thilo Rieger
June 10, 2022 08:40AM
Hello,

We work with Anydesk and Splashtop. In most cases Splashtop has the better perfomance.

Greetings
Thilo
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.